Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Rem Mag.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted
I am new to the 7Mag, but I found an awesome shooter. This is out of a Savage 110, and is listed as max. 140gr. Nosler BT's, once fired Rem brass, Win. mag primers, and 60.2 grains of H414. Out of a skinny barrel, I got 4 shots in a 1" paster (5th was about 1/4 out, but it was windy, and my shoulder was feeling like hamburger)
Now, the same ingredients, but with 56gr. of H414 spit 'em all over the place.
What gives? I was under the impression a little bit lower load usually gives better accuracy.
It also likes 160 Partitions, so an Elk hunt ain't far away!

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think most of the ball powders like to be loaded up to work better. At least, that's my experiance. BM

Bill

PS: For the 140's, you may want to give RL-19 a try or RL-22 for heavier bullets.

Posts: 128 | Location: Hensley, AR | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would try RL22 or H4831 SC in the 7mm Mag. Don't believe the hype about light loads shooting better, some will some won't. A good many of the hot rounds like a .220 swift seem to shoot best when right on the ragged edge of being too hot. I would think H414 is quite a bit too fast burning for the Big 7, works better in 7x57,.243, .30-06 sized cases. I am not a real fan of 140's anyway, a 150-160 grain bullet is the all-round load, 175 partitions for elk, etc.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H4831-69.8gr-3245-3260av.fps. and a 140gr or a 139gr Hornady Sp flat base which I have used for 34 yrs. And for the 162gr Hornady which I load for a few people 66.3grs of H4831. Mine will throw a few fliers with boat tails and that is why I stick with flat base bullet's even in my 7Stw its the same with BT's. H414 far is better for 25-06-,06-270 and even some slower big Magnums. P.S. a hot barrel will throw bullets off also.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
My load for 139 gr IB was H4831,67gr,CCI 250 chrono'd 3230 avg w/25" bbl.Although the bullet didn't penetrate on a whitetail shoulder shot at 25 yds and I lost the deer.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting 66.5 grains of H4831 with the 162 Hornady too. I'm getting around 3000 fps and it really shoots well out of my Browning A Bolt.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Every rifle & load is diff. Usually the loads approaching 100% load density are more accurate, but not always. I would give H4831 or IMR4831 a try under the 140gr. RL22 & IMR7828 under the 160gr.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I am new to the 7Mag, but I found an awesome shooter. This is out of a Savage 110, and is listed as max. 140gr. Nosler BT's, once fired Rem brass, Win. mag primers, and 60.2 grains of H414. Out of a skinny barrel, I got 4 shots in a 1" paster (5th was about 1/4 out, but it was windy, and my shoulder was feeling like hamburger)
Now, the same ingredients, but with 56gr. of H414 spit 'em all over the place.
What gives? I was under the impression a little bit lower load usually gives better accuracy.
< !--color-->
It also likes 160 Partitions, so an Elk hunt ain't far away!

Re liking lower powered loads better. This is a commonly voiced old wives' tale! Sometimes a lesser load will shoot better. Sometimes no! The only way you'll ever know for sure is to test the various combinations, and select for use the SAFE one that shoots best. For example, I have a 6mm/284 that shot best when I first got it with loads that ruined primer pockets! It was about a 0.3 MOA shooter with these loads. Naturally, I could not use such a load. No matter what safe load I tried, it did not shoot particularly well. My gunsmith suggested I let him recrown the barrel. It has shot safe loads very well since then! But it still likes absolute max. loads best!

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the ideas guys. The one thing I just found out for sure is the Nosler BT's are never going on a hunt in my rifle again.
I had a a horrible four hour tracking job on Friday morning, and still ended up losing a nice deer. What disturbs me the most, is not my loss, it's his suffering. The bullet just blew up on his shoulder, the only blood we found was from the spots he laid down.
I am switching to 140 to 160gr Partitions, or Hornady Iterlocks.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
BTW
I am not going to beat up plastic tipped bullets, or those who use them. I loaded some ammo for a buddy's 7mm mag, with 150gr Swift watchacallems, 61gr IMR 4831, and he has gotten fantastic results, both in accuracy, and performance.
As for myself, once was enough. I have never lost a deer yet, and I don't intend for it to happen again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would consider H414 a bit fast for a 7mm Mag. I load 66 gr RL22 behind a 175 Nosler partition in Winchester cases for my everything load. My Sako just doesn't shoot the light bullets as well as 160-175 grain bullets, but the 7mm Mag thrives on 160's and 175's anyway.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post
Full case of RL 25 or Retumbo with 215M and 160 gr. Partition works well for anything you might consider shooting with a 7 mag.

Ted

Posts: 152 | Location: China Spring, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best load I found was 62.5grs of IMR 4831.

1/2-inch groups at 100yds, consistently.

Although I did have my action glass bedded, barrel free floated, and a trigger job to take the pull down to 2 lbs.

I also trashed the factory stock and put a BC synthethic stock on to complete the transformation.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool

acsteele,

I agree with blue Moon & HL.

My experience with ball powders is sometimes you have to push the envelope with them to get pin point accuracy.

While not much of a hunting load (unless another bullet type is used although I'm sure I'll take all kinds of stick about the NBT's) and I'm not going to argue with anyone over .5 grain of very similar powder.

A great super accurate 7mm Mag. load is 63.0 grains of H-4831sc with any 140, 145 or 150 grain match bullet, either Sierra's or Speer and NBT's, measured .030" off the lands - it ought to shoot pretty good in a well-tuned gun.

Gerry

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with jstevens about using 160gr or 175gr bullets in the 7Mag; for these are the bullets that make the cartridge more than just a "hot shot" .270 Win. I use IMR7828 in addition to the other good "slow" powders recommended (here) to reach "advertised" velocity. And yes "Virginia", the 7Mag will shoot reduced loads extremely well if your gun is accurate in the first place. Try 40.0grs of IMR4064 with a 175gr SptBt Sierra for a "back lot" woods load that "clocks" 2200fps. It will shoot into an inch in my rifle, POA at 100 yards, with virtually little recoil and without changing the sights from my regualr "hunting" loads. The 7Mag "bellers" alot more than it kicks, but all that extra powder it burns only makes it worth having when using it with heavy for caliber bullets IMHO. Regards - Mags

Posts: 152 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I shoot reloader 22 most of the time but every powder and bullet combo I have ever tried has always shot well.just decied what punch or trajectory you will need and i have found if you use the same powder for your 139 grainers up to 175 grainers they will shoot the same place at usual ranges. however if you use 870 powder in 1 load and imr 4350 in another they may not hit close enough to sustitute them in a pinch.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
my favorite load in my 7mm Mag

IMR 7828 @ 67.8
160 Sierra Gameking
CCI-250
Fed cases

3000 FPS and accuarcy less than .50" @ 100 yards.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when i had my 7mm i loaded it up with 80.0 grs.of H870 and a 175 gr.Partition.Good for everything from mice to moose.

Posts: 29 | Location: Manitoba,Canada | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded 7mag since 1978, this does not make me an expert. I have always used H-4831, and always with great success, no matter what the bullet. I have used bullet weights from 100 grain hollow point to 160 grain sierra boat tails. I am currently using 140 sierra boat tails with 67 grains of H-4831. I was with my son when he took a 205 lb. 9 point white tail at 405 paces. While field dressing we removed the heart in 3 pieces. The bullet was in the hide on the far side.

Posts: 116 | Location: Eastport Maine | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote