Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 win loads ( varment bullets)
 Login/Join

posted
I've search around in here and have found some good loads but would really like to hear some of the varment loads that you guys are loading. Yea I know I can use a good 130gr load on a variant but thought someone may have some good loads with the 90-110gr bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load them up for kids to use in a 270 for deer hunting...

you can load a 90 grain Sierra HP or a 90 grain TNT Speer to about 3500 fps easily... a little knowing hand at the powder scale can raise that to another 100 to 200 fps, if they don't mind some higher pressures.. which the rifles will easily handle...

I've got a take off barrel coming in 270 that I am having cut down to a 270/308 to shoot the 90, 100 and 110 varmint bullets out of, at lower velocity and a shorter barrel.. for walking around the woods locally for calling coyotes...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, I live in GP also. I have had mixed results finding locations to hunt coyotes in S. Oregon. Private land access is the key as all the low lying areas (cattle and sheep ranches) are private. I could not visualize using a 270 anywhere I hunt for coyotes, EXCEPT the foothills around the private land. Is that the ticket?
I use a .221 Fireball mostly, but have been working on a 250-3000 reduced load with 60 gr. Hornady flat points (camp meat load) and a 75 grain HP load at 3000-3300+ fps. Seems like you'd need to be careful here with 270 loadings, which I'm sure you are.

Posts: 70 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 18 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason, a long time ago I worked up a load of 63 grains of IMR 4831 and a CCI-200 behind a Hornady 100-grain spitzer. It shot to the same hole as the 130-grain load did, which was puzzling, because the chrono said a bit above 3300. That load was safe in my BDL, but I would work up...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote