Find
Notify
Tools

Re: worked up a hot load in 308
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Quote:

And that is why the FBI could not get two bullets in a row to match from the Rem700 30-06 that shot Martin Luthar King:

Copper fouling.

That and the fact that Martin Luther King was assassinated with a Remington 760 Gamemaster....... not a Remington 700!

DaMan

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And you do this why ?
...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
???? Why would you risk cutting your bolt face from primer blowby/ blown primers?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I say if you want a hotter load, get a bigger gun!

You can't turn a 308 Win into a 300 UM!

I'd rather be safe than sorry!

IMHO

You are right, of course! Besides, the .308 is pretty effective just as it comes from the factory.

posted Hide Post
Clark,

I won't waste bandwidth just to say "why did you do this?", or "buy a bigger gun", rather, thank you for an interesting experiment that is useful, especially with the pics. It illustates at least three things:

- ammo tends to provide warnings of a progessive nature as pressure gets progessively higher (but not always, and not according to any strict rules);
- you can "safely" exceed loadbook maximums in some guns; and
- the chrony is a good indicator of excessive pressure. If you are getting 300 Win Mag numbers out of a 308, you are headed for big trouble.

P.S. I am glad you did it because I wouldn't unless it was a gun I could afford to blow up and I triggered it remotely.

Andy

Posts: 36 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With Quote