New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 maximum load data!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've done a search here, and found nothing, So I'll ask if there are any good load suggestion for the Maxi in a rifle barrel.

RV

Posts: 66 | Location: Charlottesville | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded alot for 357 maxium pistol loads no rifle loads.I like AA1680 the best ,it produced the highest speed for the amount of powder.The second best powder was win 296 in pistols.I think the aa1680 powder would do best in the rifles.What bullet are you using?

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I'd agree with that. Now looking for some AA1680, I've been using H110/W296 to get 1900+ fps from the 180 Hornady SSP and H4227 for 1600+ fps from the Leadheads 205 gr. cast GC. Fun to shoot as a rifle. Why don't you tell us what bullets you prefer? What rifle are you shooting them in?

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be shooting Jacketed bullets for the most 180grn nosler, hornaday 180xpt, some speer sillohette. I don't cast so jacketed will be my main projectile. Probably no lighter than 140 gr.
I have some H4227 to try. DJ gave be some good rounds to try, and they were fairly decent.
RV

Posts: 66 | Location: Charlottesville | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Vance,

The XTP is very popular with hunters using this cartridge. However, 4227 (Hogdon or IMR) is not the best performer by far. H110/W296 and AA1680 are the best performers I now (for velocity) with Lil'Gun doing well with the mid-weight bullets. It might be just me, but I think the lighter bullets (lighter than 158) just don't exploit this cartridge's potential.

It is a great cartridge, and being able to use carbide sizing dies is a big plus!

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was a 100 yard group with the reloads Leftoverdj gave me to try.

180gr RemJHP over some surplus powder that I'm not sure what it was.

RV

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just as a reference. The Lee reloading manual has a wide spectrum of reloading data for the 357 Maximum. I also own manual called the "The Completer Reloading Manual for the Thompson/Center Contender". It list 357 Max data for Jacketed and Cast bullets from all the major players. Accurate Arms, Hercules, Hodgdon, Hornady, IMR, Lyman, Nosler, RCBS, Sierra and Speer.

Looks like AA 1680 is the top powder choice. I would like to try Reloader 7 with bullets heavier than 180 grains.

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of 357 max rifle do you have?I shoot mostly 180 gr Hornady xtp bullest with max loax of AA1680.I shot some out of 14" T/c it almost got 1900 fps.I have Dan Wesson Super Mag no 357 max rifle yet.I was going to convert Browning model 92 357 mag to 357 max but sold it.I have seen a few single shots thats all.I would love a lever action in it.There was a Ruger rep that said that their 44 auto had been made in 357 max the new model .He didnt think it would come out though.It would make an awsome rifle in a light lever action or carbine either.The best group out of my Dan Wesson was 1.25" with Hornady XPT at 100 yards.I had a friend who could really shoot my pistol.I would stock up on brass because Remington is likely to stop making it any time.They are the only ones with machenery to make it.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is a NEF sb2 22 inch barrel 357 mag that has been reamed to except the 357max. Check the single shot rifle forum and you can see the 357max project thread that many of the guys from H&R talk were involved with.

RV

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, you might want to rethink powder.
Quote:

Seated to the crimp groove in 38 Special cases these loads have a OAL of 1.649", longer than many magnum loads. Since there isn't any published data for these I had to measure the bullets, figure case capacity then take an educated guess at a starting point for data.

I chose to use Lil'Gun since it has worked well with heavy for caliber bullets in other calibers, and thought it would be a good choice for this experiment. I figured 12.0gr would be a good starting point. Things went Ok, but I think starting lower would have been a good idea.

357 Magnum, S&B 38 Special cases, 250gr LFP from Beartooth, Lil'Gun, CCI 550 primers, 1.649" OAL, 5.5" Redhawk

12.0gr 1,186 fps, SD 17 fps, ES 39 fps
12.5gr 1,227 fps, SD 18 fps, ES 49 fps
13.0gr 1,250 fps, SD 21 fps, ES 50 fps

Not quite as light as I thought, a 250gr @ 1,200+ fps isn't all that light. Cases were slightly sticky on extraction, but primers showed no more pressure signs than any other max published load in that gun. source

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 November 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I recently tried some new Remington cases with 296 and 180 Rem. hollow points and 2 out of every 5 cases split. It was so disapointing I dropped the project in a Ruger Blackhawk. Anyone have any ideas why the cases split? It is a like new Ruger. I kept dropping the load thinking maybe it was too hot, but the cases kept splitting with no pressure signs on the primers. Any help would be appreciated. Regards Rich.

Posts: 7 | Location: bksf.ca. | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'VE ALWAYS BEEN INTERESTED IN THE .357 MAX CARTRAGE. I WONDER HOW FAST YOU WOULD DARE TO PUSH A 150GR. CAST SWC SLUG. MY LAUNCH PLATFORM OF CHOICE WOULD PROLLY BE A T C CONTENDER LONG BARRELED HAND CANNON.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.......

K.I.S.S.