New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Weatherby
 Login/Join

Picture of Jager100
posted
Problems loading the 110g Accubond in 257 Weatherby in my Remington 700.
I worked up loads with 6 diffent powders (R-25,R-22,R19,IMR-4350,H8431sc,and Retumbo)
I tried all these loads at varying OALs. From book length to minimum bullet seating depth.
That is a LOT of loading and shooting. I figured out that the shorter the OAL the better, but accuracy was still lacking. As a last resort (wish it had been my first) I called Nosler. I had used the Greehill formula to calculate twist rate. It would seem that these bullets would need a 1:8 twist not the 1:10 that most 257 Weatherbys are made with. (I was really doing some head scratching now) Well, Jerry at Nosler said try 69-71g of IMR7828ssc with an OAL of 3.17"-3.18".He said "If they all don't go in the same hole, call me back" With 69.0g and 69.5g 5 shot groups were all in the same hole. Hotter loads started to spead. I post this to save the next guy from going through what I did. Hope it helps. PS I use GM215M primers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only been shooting the 257 wlby for a short time, but have been very impressed with the way my guns shoot most everything well. I have not tried the 110 accubonds though. I am guessing that your gun just doesn't like that bullet, so try something different. I have had good luck with RL 22 and barnes tsx 100gr. Both my rifles shoot the weatherby factory loads very well also. So, if you try the lighter bullets and it won't shoot them well, I would start thinking it is a bedding or barrel problem. Good luck, Daryl.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That bullet would work in 1/10" if it didn't have a boattail on it but that 2 or 3" less drop at 600yards is important to everyone.NOT! Same with Barnes and Hor. They make these all copper bullets and put bt on them and you can't uses them unless you have a non factory barrel.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. My son has the same problem with his 257 LSS. I went a step farther and measured the twist in his rifle using the cleaning rod way. His twist turned out to be 1/11.5. Did you measure yours. I think a 1/10 twist should be good enough. That is what I have in my 25/06 and it works well with all length 25 cal bollets.

"300 Win mag loaded with a 250 gr Barnes made a good deer load". Elmer Keith

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote