Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite M-1A/ imr4895 loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
What are your favorite loads for 168 gr. SMK's and for 150 gr. ball loads for the M-1A, using IMR-4895?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I worked up a load using 47.1 grs IMR4895, Hornady 168 Match bullet, 30/06 Win Brass, and it didn't like it so well. Don't get me wrong, it's acceptable accuracy, but not the best. My Garand prefers IMR 4064 loading.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
168 SMK -
IMR4895 - 41gr. -
2486fps at 43190psi - via Quickload.

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Lee,

I have posted this before in another section. There is some very good info about reloading for the M1A/M14 in the article.

http://www.zediker.com/downloads/14_loading.pdf

I believe Mike Elmer's load is for a 30-06 in a M1 not a 308 in a M1A.

Also I am hesitant to give load data on the Internet but Rich's load is in the ballpark, maybe a good starting point to work up from......but not too much more

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Mike, you are correct, it is for 30-06. M1Garand... sorry for the confusion, I should have noticed the M1A is what I know as the M14. Damned nomenclatures... sofa

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oops did the same thing, but for those interested in proven M-1 loads, here's a link:

http://home.comcast.net/~jlemo...ifle_JohnRClarke.pdf

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
The M-1 loads will come in handy when I start on the Garand. Nobody out there with any pet loads for the M1-A(.308) that they personally use with the above components?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
41.7 gr of IMR 4895 for me, in LC-90 brass.

Does not seem to matter if I use CCI or Wolf primer.

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote