New
Find
Notify
Tools

38 spl loads
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Guys,
This is my first post here so hope it is OK.
I shoot a 357 Marlin '94 CS lever action for paper target use. Microgroove barrel. I use 38spl cases and 158grn fprn lead bullets. I have acquired 2 lbs of Bullseye and I wonder if any of you would be prepared to share your favourite Bullseye loads please?
Thanks for reading and for any help you can give.
John Garnett
Cornwall
UK

Posts: 1 | Location: Cornwall, UK | Registered: 10 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With that weight lead bullet you can go from about 3.4 gr. - 3.9 gr. of Bullseye using a standard small pistol (non-magnum) primer.

I'd recommend loading toward the "light side" because I've experienced pierced primers shooting .38 Special in my NEF .357 Mag rifle when pushing fast burning powders with standard small pistol primers.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in agreement with DaMan some where around the 3.5-4.0 range. Mine likes 3.6gr., but the're all diferent, Start on the LOW side. Happy shooting...

"BAck off man!!! I'm a scientist."

Posts: 96 | Location: central missouri | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why so light? I have been loading 4.2gr. over 158 SWC for years, shoots great(in handguns), and my data shows 4.5gr as +P. Is there something abour the microgrove barrel I am not aware of?

Posts: 46 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: 30 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WYNN:
Why so light? I have been loading 4.2gr. over 158 SWC for years, shoots great(in handguns), and my data shows 4.5gr as +P. Is there something abour the microgrove barrel I am not aware of?

WYNN, that sounds like data from an OLD Speer Manual. They had some loads a ways back that were VERY hot! I have an old Speer #11 and they had a max. of 4.2 gr. Bullseye with 158 gr. lead bullets (standard pressure) and they had a max. of 4.9 gr. of Bullseye for the max. +P load with 158 gr. jacketed bullets! IMHO those listed +P loads were NUTS! Eeker

The NEW Speer manual recommends 3.9 gr. as the max. +P load with 158 gr. lead bullets (same as Alliant Powder max. +P recommendation). So I think Speer realized that the loads in the older manual were a BIT TOO HOT!

It's not worth a "kaboom" for a few fps increase in velocity.

If one really NEEDS the velocity, they should go to a faster cartridge like the .357 Mag.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote