New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Swede
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently aquired a 96 Swede and I am looking for some data, prefered powder, etc. Will a factory barrel group 120gr. bullets? Any information would be appreciated.<br />Stepchild

I finally shot this over the chronograph and it clocked 2,876 with 50gr.of MRP/120gr Sierra/ Lapua cases/Winchester primer.

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem Classic Swede, the twist is 1 in 8", which I believe is the same or slower by an inch than the Mauser. 120 grain bullets will stabilize fine in 1 in 7 or 8", in fact 140 should be fine in either. As to powders, I like H4350, H4831, Reloader 22 and Reloader 19.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
Thanks for the information, Of the powders you mentioned, I have MRP(RL22) and 4350, I'll start with MRP. Merry Christmas.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Bobby,

I also have a Remington Classic in 6.5x55, and the twist is 1 in 9". I personally wish it were 1 in 8". Most other manufacturers do employ a 1 in 8" twist. My Classic is very accurate with 129gr. bullets and lighter, but won't group worth a damn with Sierra 140 and 142gr. bullets, both reputed to be excellent range bullets. It goes beyond this though. Bullet shape and configuration also determine what will shoot well. My Classic handles Lapua 139gr. Scenars (very long), and Sierra 160gr. SPSP (round nose to me) very accurately even though it does poorly with the Sierras. I'd love to read a good article on this topic concerning the 6.5x55.

I have 3 old Swedish M96 mausers and all do well with the heavier bullets. These rifles have a 1 in 7 1/2" twist. In any event it's an excellent caliber, very accurate once you determine what it will and won't shoot well. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have MRP(RL22)...

I hope you're not using the two types as if they were the same... If you were'nt doing that, at least now it's been said so that noone else does.

Try N204. I'm using it for bullets between 120 to 140 gr (1:8). I have tried using it with 100 gr bullets too, but I believe there are other powders that are better suited for those bullets.

Don't use hot loads worked up in a modern rifle, assuming that they will work as well in your m/96. They will not. By doing so, sooner or later the weak M/96 will blow, and when it does, it may do so without warning.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x55 happens to be one of my all-time favorite calibers, and I have several rifles -- both old and new -- in that chambering. In all, Re-22 is the champ in both the accuracy and velocity department.

I prefer 140 grain spitzers as my all-around load, and premiums aren't necessary as the high sectional density coupled with the modest starting velocity combine to create a load that penetrates unbelievably well. The 140 grain Remington PSP-CL long with the Speer 140 grain Hot Core are the softer of the 140 grain spitzers; next in line is the Hornady 140 grain SP and SST; and perhaps the toughest of the conventionals spitzers is the Sierra 140 grain BTSP-GK.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9361 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Craig22
posted Hide Post
I also have a Rem 700 Classic in 6.5x55
I have no idea what the twist rate is, but would like to know. Why would Rem produce the classic with different twist rates?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Posts: 15 | Location: Central Pa. | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a 96 Swede (1905) that likes IMR3031 and 120gr. Sierras and IMR4895 with the same maker's 140gr. I've tried the slower powders, but this particular rifle does not seem to like them as well. I've also used IMR3031 with 100gr. bullets at 3100fps. They were very accurate, but impacted 8" higher than the 120 or 140gr. loads. Great fun shooting that rifle.

Posts: 152 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not found any powder that will make a 120 gr bullet shoot worth a damm from my 96. It shoots 140s and 100s wonderfully. I have tried several makes of 120s and several powders and different combinations.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady 129 Spire Points, Lapua brass, Remington 9 1/2 primers, 45.8 grains of H4350, seated .020" off the lands works for me very well in a CZ 550.

I'm getting 1 1/4" by 2 1/2" groups at 200 yards from a sling support.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied, sorry about taking so long to reply.
I finally got around to shooting it and I was elated with the accuracy. This rifle shoots 120 Sierras into groups smaller than a dime. 50gr. MRP, Lapua cases, CCI 200 and the above mentioned bullets seated to 3.0"COL.

According to quickload this load produces 40,000 psi.
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
Any idea what velocity you are getting with that load?

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Olli:
quote:
I have MRP(RL22)...

I hope you're not using the two types as if they were the same... If you were'nt doing that, at least now it's been said so that noone else does.

Try N204. I'm using it for bullets between 120 to 140 gr (1:8). I have tried using it with 100 gr bullets too, but I believe there are other powders that are better suited for those bullets.

Don't use hot loads worked up in a modern rifle, assuming that they will work as well in your m/96. They will not. By doing so, sooner or later the weak M/96 will blow, and when it does, it may do so without warning.

This is the letter that is referred to in the Norma Manual - any good ? thread but the graphic is no longer showing in that thread. The file was originally posted by Richard Saloom and I saved it. Since this letter was written, I believe Norma 203-B has replaced Norma 203.

Originally posted by Richard Saloom with the letter:
This is a copy of the letter sent out by OWS with my copy of Wiederladen. The scribbling on the bottom is mine.

NOTE: Read the last paragraph of the letter carefully. Good advice about reducing charges and working back up. I believe RL-22 can be substitued for MRP data but not necessarily on an exact grain-for-grain basis. ie: MRP data can be used as a guideline when working up loads with RL-22 but, the powders are probably slightly different.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have not personally tried substituing RL-22 for MRP data in any cartidge. At least not yet. I have a new Ruger M77 MkII in 6.5x55 at the gunsmith's (for action tuning, new trigger, bedding, etc.) but I have not fired it yet. I'm interested in the MRP/RL-22 topic as Norma has some good loading data on their web site using MRP in the 6.5x55. Going by the letter above, I believe it will be possible for me to use Norma's MRP load data, as a rough guideline when working up loads using RL-22 in the Swede. Back off on the starting charge, watch the chronograph, slowly work up loads while keeping an eye on the chronograph.

Just my ramblings....
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLC:
Any idea what velocity you are getting with that load?

MLC,
Due to the weather I haven't chronographed this load yet.
But it should be in the 2,900 to 3,000 range? My Speer manual shows 2,773 with an 18" barreled 96 Swede, and mine is 25".
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
I appreciate the advise. I shouldn't have mentioned R22 as I don't have any. I bought a quantity of MRP(same lot) and that's what i'm using. Excellent powder!
Thanks
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal

Last time i checked my Rem 700 classic had a one in 8" twist rate, as well as all other American 6.5X55's

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 120gr bullet that my 1943 M38 Husqvarna shoots the best is the Sierra 120gr flat base.
I load these over 46.0gr of IMR-4350 in a Norma case with a CCI BR2 primer loaded to an OAL of 3.060".
I don't think I've ever fired a group with this load that I couldn't cover with a nickel.

It chronographed at 2940fps

another bullet that shoots even better is the old Winchester "power-point" 140gr.

these are the OLD step-diameter bullet. they are bore diameter back to the cannelure and grove diameter from there back.
The OAL length places them well back from the long throat
but I believe this bullet does a wonderful job of "self aligning" itself to the bore....
The load?
In a Norma case 45.0gr of IMR4350 and a CCI BR2 primer
loaded to an OAL of 3.045" (case mouth to the cannelure)

This load chronographs at 2795 from my 24" barrel
And is so easy to shoot dime sized groups with that it's almost boring.

I don't know what I'll do when the last of these bullets are gone, shit... I only have 480 of them left and they haven't been made for 20plus years!
Though being designed for use in the 264WinMag
I'm not sure what they'd do on game at 6.5x55 velocities.
I've never shot anything with one.... but they do go EXACTLY where aimed....

My loads with the 125gr Nosler partition and RL19 are stlll Ho-hum at 1.3" (adequate to kill with, but I think I can get them to group better, but haven't yet) and the RL22 load with the 140gr partition runs just under an inch.

I think I'm going to see what happens with a mag primer and work up to as much RL22 as I can fit under a 125gr partition....

I've always had good luck accuracy wise with compressed charges of RL22.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen,
Thanks for the info. I picked this load with pressure as the deciding factor and was shocked at the accuracy(1st load) as this barrel looks pretty rough inside.
Another thing that surprised me was the absence of recoil, well almost. The Timney trigger was a nice addition(2.5 crisp #'s), fitting it was a bit of a chore though, a Dremel is a must.
I was told by a Sierra tech guy that 120gr. wouldn't be the best choice given the twist of this barrel, i'm glad he was wrong in this instance.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stepchild2. Allan, has listed some of my first choice powders. They are H 4350. 48.0 for 120gr. and RL-22 50.5 also for the 120gr.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Swede,
Where ya located?

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
stepchild 2, I live in a town called Vassar, it is in the thumb. You are in Glennie right, we have a cabin in Sand Lake, that is not to far from you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede,
Let me know when you're headed to Sand Lake and we can have coffee/lunch. stepchild61@hotmail.com
We might be able to include Tailgunner, who lives in Whittemore.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be a good idea, And thanks for talking on the form with me Stepchild2.

One of Us
Picture of afro408
posted Hide Post
6.5 Sweede, Hi.
Mine is a standard M96 military which I have shortened,crowned and turned down to a feather weight barrel. It slugs at .267" in the grooves so it likes a pretty fast load to shoot accurately. My current load is 49.5g of ADI 2209 x 120g Sierra HPBT. This is 3g over maximum in the handbook but was arrived at slowly and carefully. The primers are only just starting to flatten and cases extract easily.
I have chronographed the load at 2980fps and it shoots to 3/4" @ 100yd.
It is a great calibre for here in Australia and everything I have shot at falls down dead! Just the other afternoon I shot 7 feral pigs with it.
[ All times wasted wot's not spent shootin']

Posts: 50 | Location: East of the black stump,NSW. | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Afro408 you said you have M96, I also have A M96 and A Ruger 77 MK 11, in 6.5x55 round . It's like you said ,I love my 6.5,thanks for anwsering the post,and keep us informed about your rifle, and your loads,"OH" send us A pig for the Barbie.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
6.5x55 Rem 8 twist
Howa 9 twist
sako/tikka, 8.5 I believe or 8.6

Rem 260 9 twist, which makes the 6.5x55 the way to go in a factory gun

Ruger 6.5x55 is 8 also

260 RUGER does have 8 twist

Just wanted to add that as to me an 8 twist or faster (read lower number) is the only way I want a 6.5 regardless of ctg.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote