Find
Notify
Tools

243 load needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
I just inherited two boxs of Speer 80 gr soft point flat base 6mm bullets. Anyone have a accurate load for them in a 243 win?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In mine IMR4895 is excellent 40.0 grs is generally a max load.
H-414 or W760 ball work well also 45.0gr is max and it might be compressed.
BL-C(2) is the only other powder I have run under 75-80 gr bullets and it was pretty good also. 38.5 is max.
Best of luck with those 8ogr Speers.
Cheers
Ron

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks WestCoaster. I'll start working on those powders. How accurate are those 80 gr Speers? Maybe there IS a reason i "inherited" them. Wink

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your statement of maybe there is a reason I inherited them would match my way of thinking. My thoughts would be why not use 100 grainers for hunting deer and use my .22 centerfire for varmints. I use to shoot some 110 grainers in my 30-06, but couldn't come up with a purpose for them--recoil was right there with the 150 grainers so I didn't gain enough there to mention. Having said that--those 80 grain bullets will work on deer--55 grainers in .222/.223 work fine. Just a matter of why not use 100's?

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use load data from the old IMR Brown Sheet load data...its 'hotter' than many other load manuals... but I have always found it safe and trust the factories pressure data...

They recommended a max load of 42.5 grains of IMR 4064...for an MV of 3380 fps and a pressure of 52,000 CUP...tacl driver in all of my 243s..

two other loads I have used which have also proven to be tack drivers with ANY 80 grain bullets, is 30 grains of IMR 4198, or RL 7...

accurate and economical... 30 grains, less recoil.. in fact with an 80 grain Nosler B/Tip, I am on the way out to the load bench this morning to load up some with RL 7 for use on blacktail ( within 200 yds) for my gun for wet weather use...( stainless with synthetic stock)

Using that as a back up rifle... this is Oregon, so hunting in rain is a fact of life...

sucks but I'd rather hunt in the rain than miss half or more of hunting season...

late season Coastal Elk is even more wet.. but I move up in Caliber to do that one...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks seafire. I'll give it a try.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station