New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for moderate 30-06 load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for some load data for the Sierra 125 spritzer in the 30-06. Load is for my 13 year old. I'm wanting to produce around 2700 to 2800fps from a 22" barrel.
I'm looking at H4895...any charge recommendations or suggestions on a different powder?
Thanks!
Jeremy

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

Posts: 411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: 10 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on other componants used between 47 and 50 gr of 4895 will get 2800 fps with the 125 gr bullet.

However, a better powder for this application is H4198. Between 36 and 38 gr will put the 125 gr Sierra into the 2700 - 2800 fps range with less recoil and probably better accuracy. I use that powder and bullet to duplicate the Remington "reduced" load in my daughter's '06. It is a much better load with that bullet in the '06 than when using 4895.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry, it just happens that I have an unopened canister of H4198 at the house. I'll give that a try.
Much appreciated!

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

Posts: 411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: 10 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matter of fact, the remington reduced recoil load was basically what I was looking to duplicate, just with the Sierra bullet and perhaps an extra 100 to 200fps.
Thanks again!

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Go to the Hodgdon's website and look for youth loads. They have a wealth of info for H4895.
When my son was smaller we were shooting H4895 and 130 grain Speers in his .284 Win reduced. He took his first Mule Deer buck and Bull Elk with that load.
Now my son is 16 and shoots anything you hand him up to .458 Win Mag. I'm glad I took the time with him shooting reduced loads I think its made him a better rifleman today.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links Snellstrom.
The pattern you described with your son is exactly what I'm hoping to duplicate with my boy. Start him out with something he won't find uncomfortable to shoot, then move him up as he becomes accustomed to more. Hopefully within the next couple of seasons he'll be able to move into the full house loads in the '06.
Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Good I'm glad you can use the info.
I started both my sons on .22's when they were 4 years old and worked them up. My youngets is 7 and loves shooting reduced loads in his 6.5 Swede (100 grain bullet going about 2100 fps). My older boy now 16 was very recoil sensitive when he was little so I even reduced .243 loads when he was young then we worked up to reduced loads in his .284 and now like I said he will shoot anything we own.
You'll hear a lot of opinions about how to start kids on centerfires but I did what worked and works for my kids and I think they are better for it.
Don't get too hung up on reaching a certain velocity with your reduced loads, stop at whats accurate and tolerable recoil wise for him. A 125 to 150 grain .30 cal bullet starting at 2200 to 2400 has killed a lot of animals (30/30 win).
My sons first Deer was 180 yards away and dropped at the shot with his .284 and 130 grain Speers going 2500 fps (I'm guessing on the speed) complete through and through penetration broadside and high in the shoulders.
Your son stands a much better chance of dropping his first deer in his tracks if he is shooting a slow moving bullet and shooting it well rather than a little faster bullet that is beating him up and making him worry about recoil as he hits the trigger.
Just my 2 cents........

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
just FYI,I have been using in my 30-06 ,a 150 bullet at 2700 fps ,and found recoil to be quite mild.Much less intense than the same bullet at 2900-3000 that is possible with the cartridge.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using 39g of RL7 behind a 125g spitzer as a 3006 light load for a long time. It shoots well in my rifle and to the same point of aim as my full power loads......

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote