New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for 44 mag reduced load 1000fps
 Login/Join

Picture of pdkillr
posted
Am getting a supressed 44 mag looking for a load around 1000 fps with 240-300gr bullets. Have never handloaded for pistol but have been rifle loading over 15 yrs. Any help would be appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
11 grains of Accurate #5 and a standard primer behind any 240-250-grain SWC. Accurate, roughly 1000 fps, very comfortable to shoot, but stiff enough to humanely dispatch anything from a feral pig to a mule deer, at handgun distances. The late Finn Aagaard recommended it years ago when Accurate first came out. I tried it and it became my standard Keith "plinking" 44 Mag load. I use the Lyman 429421 and cast my own...
Try it, and good shooting!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try some universal clays for your reduced loads. It burns fairly clean, and works very well for my low speed loads. I can't recall exact charge weights, but check out the companys web sight and you will find good information there.

In North Dakota, winter sucks

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
8.5 gr of Unique with a 240 gr. cast bullet will do just what you want. Out of most hanguns. This is my all the time most used 44 mag load.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote