New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Solid replacement?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First trip to Zim in 2011 for Buff and plains game with CMS. Going back in 2015 for ele and sable. Have Rifles, Inc. custom in 416 Rem. Rifle liked the Barnes 400 gr solids and TSX the best of everything I tried to load. Barnes Solids no longer available. Next best? Loading 82 gr of RL15 and was getting <1" with both solids and TSX. Obviously need the solids for the ele. Thanks.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
North Fork or CEB. THE modern bullets .

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cutting Edge solids-all the features of the Barnes but made to even higher tolerances. An alternative might be the Hornady DGX solids which are generally available.

Cutting Edge Solids

Good luck on your hunt.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you check with Barnes?

Last year I brought 100 of their flat nose solids for .416. You need to call Barnes directly if you want the flat nose ones, they only sell the round nose to merchants due to too many problems feeding, I guess.

The ones they quit making were .375 and smaller due to the ATF.

The North Forks work great as well, but didn't quite shoot to the same POI for me as my TSX load.

I have never used the CEB bullets, as Barnes and North Fork have done everything I want of them, that and I like my softs to stay in one piece; having said that lots of people have had good luck with them.

Posts: 10597 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
First trip to Zim in 2011 for Buff and plains game with CMS. Going back in 2015 for ele and sable. Have Rifles, Inc. custom in 416 Rem. Rifle liked the Barnes 400 gr solids and TSX the best of everything I tried to load. Barnes Solids no longer available. Next best? Loading 82 gr of RL15 and was getting <1" with both solids and TSX. Obviously need the solids for the ele. Thanks.

The letter that Barnes posted on their website says that the 416 solids were not effected by the BATF armor piercing ruling and that they are still available.

Banded Solids components and VOR-TX Safari ammunition products loaded with Banded Solids components and VOR-TX Safari ammunition products loaded with Banded Solids not included in the aforementioned calibers (e.g. 416, 470 and 500) and TSX bullets are not subject to the current armor piercing classification and continue to be available for purchase.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would take a look at the North Fork FN Solids.

If your rifle will not feed the NF's then go with Woodleigh Solids. I have killed several elephants with them.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote