Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite 30-40 Krag
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted
I've been using a 170gr 30-30 bullet in my 30-40 Krag for whitetail deer. I load it to about 2500FPS out of my Ruger #3, and it is deadly! I'm sure it would be just as good in any 30 cal. At 100 yds it hits those deer like a 30-30 at the muzzle! Down they go! Wink

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In all 3 Krag Rifles I have and my 14" SSK Contender they all love 47gr IMR 4350 and 180gr Hornady RN. One rifle really loves this load, It'll put 3-shots a dime will cover @ 100yds and it's an old 1896 model thats scoped, Who says they make 'em beter today?

Posts: 41 | Location: South-central Ohio ,USA | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded 43 gr of IMR 4350 behind a Hornady 180 gr round nose, with a Rem 9 1/2 primer in a WW case for years. Rifle is a sporterized 1898 Springfield-Krag Carbine. (You have to use round nose or you can experience feeding problems with the Krag.)

At one time I had it scoped (with an off-set 4X) just to see how it would group, and it would consistently shoot below MOA.

Eventually, I took the scope off and put on a Lyman peep, and then re-blued and re-stocked the rifle for my father, who used it for years before giving it back to me before he passed away.

All told, I took 5 or 6 White Tails and one big Mule Deer with this rifle.

Who needs the 308 when you can shoot the 30-40?

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote