New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fav. load for 44 mag w/H-110
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently bought a Ruger BH 44 mag and wanted to try H-110 instead of my old standby 2400. Using 240 hardcast SWC whats ur fav. load for the 44? I tried 24 grains but recoil was a lil severe!! BOOM
Suggestions ?
Thanks
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
44 Remington Magnum
primer cci-350
H-110 22.8
240 grain Nosler sp
Muzzle Velocity 1512

Have tried this load in several 44 mag with outstanding accuracy.

Good Shooting

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve, I have been away from PC for holiday but will try that load. I loaded 21.0 grains for a nice practice load, but plan on using my marlin carbine for some hog and deer loads and wanted more umph.
I have only loaded cast for 44's may someday try some HP's.
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the following for my Ruger SBH 7 1/2" and Winch. Trapper 16":

19gr-H110
CCI 350 primers
w/ either 300gr WFNGC Cast Perf. or 300gr JHP Noslers.

Not sure of velocity but both loads will drop hogs over 250+ lbs with one correctly placed shot to at least 120yds. Both of these guns will stack these loads right on top of each other consistently.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to 23.5 grs. and 240 jacketed or the same charge with #429421 cast (around 250 grains).

Posts: 163 | Location: Vincennes, IN | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts are if you are not going to use 24 gr of H 110 then drop back to 20 to 21 gr of the old 2400, which would probably be @ 17.5 to 19 gr of the NEW 2400.

I have not tried any of the new 2400 yet as I have not run out of the OLD 2400.

If you want less than that, start with 7.5gr of Unique and work up toward 10 grains.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
pleease enlighten me on this new vs old 2400 i didnt know they changed it

Posts: 1 | Location: north centeral idaho | Registered: 30 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When Alliant started making 2400 it was faster than the old Hercules 2400.

H 110 does best when loaded near max. It and 296 are good powders for MAX loads in the 44 Mag.

For bullets up to 250gr 2400 is a great powder as well, especially if you are loading a little under max loads, call them 7/8 or 3/4 of max.

If you want a lighter load use Unique.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
NE450 - I've never been much of a fan of H110 - for whatever reason I have always been able to find great success with 2400. That, and I like not having to screw around with Mag Primers.

In my 7.5" 629PC Light Hunter I have the following:

240gr. Lead SWC (Oregon Trail, no GC)
19.0 gr. 2400 gives me a solid 1350 fps.

300gr. True Shot WideNose Gas Checked
17.5 gr. 2400 gives me an honest 1250 fps.

No pressure signs and I'm getting a 3" group off the bench at 50 yards with irons.

Now if I stick to "common wisdom" about H110 I should be able to get more velocity and at least equal or better accuracy. I simply ask the question "why"...

Nothing against H110, but I've always found it odd that 2400 seems to get disparaged. It's become my goto powder for anything warm and up in my .357, .41, .44 and .45 Mags.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rnovi

I used H110 for some 240gr loads with jacketed bullets. 24gr was very accurate.

H110 is better than 2400 for heavy 270 to 300gr bullets...

But like you I still like 2400 for full power, and near full power 240 gr lead loads, and it has been very accurate with 240 jacketed bullets as well, in revolvers and my Ruger rifle.

I loaded a lot of 240 gr jacketed bullets back when I had my Ruger 44 Mag Deerstalker.

That rifle was a deer killing machine. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you ever want to go lighter on the bullets, 27.5 grains of H110 gives remarkable accuracy with 200 gr Hornady XTP's in my Super Redhawk.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of dgreene396
posted Hide Post
I have ventured out to the far extremes in my recent 44-Mag reloadings. This weekend, against the common recommendations, I went above and beyond the max recommended loads in my Ruger Super Blackhawk 7-1/2" bbl, better known as "Elmer".

Using H110, I loaded up to 26.0 grains using WLP primers, 240gr XTP JHP & Winchester brass. Wow, I was amazed. The recoil is quite strong, but the accuracy is there too. In 10 shots, there were no signs of case splitting or other damage.

I also use WC820 military surplus powder and am very fond of it. I loaded up to 24.0 grains using the same combo as above. It has slightly more recoil than the H110 26gr load, and the accuracy was equivalent. No split cases or signs of damage.

All in all, I am pleased. Like some say, quality over quantity is the way to go.

I have an extremely low tolerance for stupidity!

Posts: 9 | Location: Pinson, Alabama | Registered: 18 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
It is very likely that the WC 820 you loaded up is really a powder that should be considered a powder to be used with AA #9 load levels.
I might be wrong, but I'm guessing that when you start seeing split cases that it may well be the least of your concern as a pressure indicator.

Good luck with your reloading

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is why I love this site! You can get so many diff. loads and info to use. Try them and find what is best for your use with your weapon.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 19-20 gr. of WC820 behind a 300 gr LFN in my S&W629. Velocity runs 1200-1250 fps with very good accuracy. Recoil is stout. After much shooting I have settled on standard Winchester LP primers. I get more consistent velocities than I do with mag. primers.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hiya
For years I've been shooting various .44 Mags in the form of Rugers and Smiths. In every case, 2400 is THE powder for CAST or lead bullets for accuracy and velocity. I've tried a lot of different powders but 2400 just keeps performing for me.
Of course this applies to heavy full power loads. For plinking or mid-range loads I use the ol' standby UNIQUE.

Now with JACKETED bullets, it's not so one-sided. There are many powders that will work well here. So ya just have to get to the range and find out what your particular gun likes.
H-110, 296, 2400, N-110 is a good place to start, but ya never know until you are done testing.

Have fun! thumb

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H110 is developed specifically for 44 Magnum, and seemingly gives better performance than 2400.

My Ruger BH has the 10.5" bbl. I like a 240 gr. hard cast SWC from Oregon Trails "Lazercast."

Federal large pistol mag. primer, and the max. load spec. out of the Hodgdon Data Manual, which is 24 gr. 1568 fps out of a 7" test bbl. and 39,600 CUP -- 10% below SAAMI max spec.

I run the same loads in a Smith, 629, 4" bbl.

Accuracy at 100 yds is "works for me." I've never done any formal bench testing for groups. With the Ruger off a sandbag, I can hit a 9" paper plate, consistently.

The caveat here is that I'm loading for velocity and power. That's why I bought a 44 magnum in the first place -- back when it was "The most powerful handgun in the world" to quote Dirty Harry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My accuracy load in a 6" and a 6.5" S&W mod 29's has been 30-31 gr under the 180 gr Sierra HP. I've used it on ground squirrels, chucks, hogs, snakes & a couple of deer.

Posts: 44 | Location: Finger Lakes NY | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote