New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 7mm Rem Mag.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Another powder you might try is H-1000. I have had excellent accuracy, and with good velocity, with this powder and the 160 and 175 gr. Nosler partitions and 162 gr. Hornady BTSP. I have used both the 160 and 175 gr. Noslers on elk and can't tell much difference. The partition appears to be the same distance from the base in both the 160 and 175, as the few bullets I have recovered (most have exited so I didn't recover them) weighed 101-104 gr. The 160 appears to penetrate a little more, due to the same weight after expansion but higher velocity. I would try both and hunt with the one that shoots the best. The 162 gr. Hornady is OK for antelope and deer, but I would hesitate to use it on elk. I like partitions, as they usually leave an exit hole.

posted Hide Post
WHAT CASES,PRIMERS DO YOU USE WITH THE H=1000,AND HOW MUCH POWDER DO YOU USE?THAT WOULD BE WITH THE 160 GR. NOSLER PARTITIONS.I CAN'T FIND ANY DATA FOR THAT LOAD.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nomadone, welcome to the site. It is always nice to see new members.

I use Winchester brass and Fed. 215 primers with H-1000. The load I use is higher than Hodgden recommends now, but less than what they showed in earlier manuals. I use 71.5 grs. with the 160 gr. Nosler partition. Originally they listed 73.0 grs. as maximum. This load is about maximum in my rifle but primer pockets stay tight even after 6-7 loadings. Work up to maximum slowly.

Part of the secret to good case life with the belted magnums is to adjust the die to just set the shoulder back .001" to .002". If you screw the die all the way into the press you will usually set the shoulder back too far and the case will be streching excessively each time it is fired and you will get a case head separation.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I worked up to 71 gr of H1000 with a Fed 215M primer 3/4" group. You will need to start at 5% below that and work up 1/2 gr. at a time.Good luck

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dale

It looks like we have had very differing results with our 7MM's. Using a 160 Nosler partiton at 75 yards my Nosler did not exit my 5 point Bull. It was just under the skin on the far side. It expanded very nicely. MV was right at 3000 fps.

On the other hand most of my Elk have been taken with 160 Sierra Gamekings and Hornady 162 Gr. bullets all performed very well. One Bull I shot at 50 feet did manage to get back up and make a dead on his feet dash of 50 feet that ended with a head on crash into and up a fir tree falling on his back lifelessly.

I found the 160 to 162 Gr bullet tend to punch right through deer. So now I stay with my 139 Gr Hornady Interlock for deer. Drops them on the spot.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
My favorite load in the 7mm Mag

160 Sierra Gameking and Nosler Part
IMR 4350 @ 63.0
Fed 215 Primer
WW Cases

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accubond 160's with 64 gr of RL-22 and CCI200 primers. Kiled all of my animals this year with that load.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote