New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Whelen
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After 30+ years trying to find a load with 250 Hornady RP-SP I finally have found what I have been looking for. I have been looking for a load that is close to 2000 fps that doesn't punish your shoulder with full loads. I have tried every possible powder to get the velocity with group size I have been determined the rifle would give me. Guess I'm just too much of a fanatic with the caliber.

Rifle is a Ruger 77 with a 24" Shilen barrel. I fired lapped the barrel with Veral Smith's lapping compound when I got the rifle back from the gunsmith.

Load is 43.8 gr IMR 4895
CCI 250 primer
1973 FPS
35 Whelen brass
Leupold 3.5 x 10

100 yard 3 shot group gave me .242 C to C

200 yard group this past week gave me what I think is astonishing .587 center center three shot group. Shot off bags.

Luckily I had another shooter next to me shooting same distance with a 6.5 PRC. We were both in disbelief how the Whelen shot. Him more than me. Lucked out and out shot him. Got to love shooting a hunting rifle that beats a tricked out rifle with 6.5 x 20 scope that day.

Sad part about this is my 35 Whelen out shoots my 308 Remington.

This rifle also shoots cast bullets very well. NEI 311 grain and a NOE 359009 that comes out at 281 grains.

I tried for a couple hours to load pictures of the target to no avail just gave up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a a very nice sized group.

Now go out and repeat 4 or 5 times.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So who is going deer hunting the next time? The Whelen or the .308?

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do we compare calibers? when both are going to get you the same results??Id chose the one that I shot and handled best off hand..In this case and for deer Id take the 308 as its lighter and handier as a rule and save my 35
whelen (in my case the 9,3x62) for elk and moose.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote