Notify
Tools

Re: Looking for a good all around 30-06 load
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Quote:

Doc, I agree you definately didn't need 180's, but you need an elk picture!!!

Ask and you shall receive, but since most bullets fail on elk, I went ahead and used a tiny carbon arrow and a measly 100 grain broadhead:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, good to know, I will start experimenting with these lighter bullets. This new curiosity stems from my aquisition of a 338-06, so I will shoot heavier bullets through it and try the lighter ones in my 30-06. Doc, I agree you definately didn't need 180's, but you need an elk picture!!! I put a 130 grain original barns X all the way through an elk at 225 yards from my 270 win. 180 grain soft points from a 30-06 wont do that.

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Here is a good load for thse .3006 try 57.0 grains of IMR4350 with a cci 250 primer. It shoots well out of my three rifles. I tend to load hot loads but it is only 1-2 grains above max,and I dont get any presure signs.The reloading books I have found are on the conservative side the only book I have found that drastically scayled back on there charges was the speer#12 because the speer #11 was in my mind a bit hot in the calibers i shot.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote