New
Find
Notify
Tools

162 gr Hornady BT in 7x57mm Mauser
 Login/Join

<thomas purdom>
posted
Hi folks: I don't see one other 7x57mm Mauser favorite here, so I'll post mine. Actually, I worked this load up for a Ruger Mark II in 7x57, then traded the rifle for a CZ550 American in the same caliber. The case is a Remington (try finding a Winchester case these days) with a Federal 210 Match primer. Case length 2.225 inchs. The load is 48.3 grains of H414 and the bullet is seated to .005 from the bottom of the canlures. The throat on the CZ in this caliber is so darn long that I couldn't fit the bullet into the case and touch the lands, so I went the other way. Am still experimenting, or at least will when the weather warms up a bit. Anyway, this load chronographs at 2,820 fps with a 17 foot load variation. I use the powder measure for rough loads and then pour the load into the scale tray and finish it off with a powder trickler. Have Forster dies and a Forster micrometer seating die. This thing averages at .68 inches in a five-shot group. I have shot some smaller groups with the load, and some larger, but never more than 1moa. When I add all the groups up and divide, that's were I get the .68 inch. The CZ has a 23.5 inch barrel, which may lend some to the velocity. I started using H414 after Ray A. started hypeing the powder and have not looked back since then. I am still working on a 139 SST Hornady load, so if anyone has any ideas, pass them on. So far it looks like H4350 is going to be a pretty good powder for the 139 grainer. I'd sure like to hear some other 7x57mm Mauser loads. Tom Purdom

<bearlake>
posted
Tom are you shooting the Hornady 162gr A-Max or the 162-spbt? If you are shooting the standard spbt try the A-Max!!!!!!!!!! I bet you will have good luck with them. I would like to see Hornady make a 7mm SST in that bullet weight or something close

How do you like your CZ-550 American?

<thomas purdom>
posted
Hi Bearlake: The bullet is the Hornady softpoint boattail, not the target stuff. Just for grins, I might try the A-Max. As far as the CZ550 American, I love the rifle. I must admit that when I first bought it (traded a Ruger Mark II that had a bit of customizing on it in the same caliber) I found that the entire action moved in the bedding when you pushed the barrel to one side or the other. Even so, it shot 2-2.5 inch groups with the 162 grain load. I glassbedded the action on the rear tang, the lug area and a bit in front of the barrel. That puppy is tight as a drum in the stock now. It went from a 2-inch rifle to .68 inches and I still am doing a bit of seating depth experimentation. I will say, that the thing has a very, very long throat. I learned from another poster that European cartridges in European rifles do have long throats on purpose. I have to start at the canlures and work out from there in increasing lengths, however, with .68 inch groups seated to .05 inch below the bottom part of the lands, this puppy is a winning combination. The stock on the CZ is exceptional, in my opinion. It is Turkish Walnut, has some dark streaks, some burl crotch figure and some tiger strip figure in it. It is a dark wood. I really didn't mind he glassbedding as I figure I will have to do that with any rifle I purchase, though I don't buy many. Aside from the CZ, I have a very accurate .223 in Howa Lightning that I use for coyotes and p-dogs here in New Mexico. I have owned other 7x57mm Mausers and used them for anything from elk to turkey (in south Texas) with some wild pig, mule deer, whitetail deer, javalina and antelope thrown in for good measure. No complaints anywhere. Oh, by the way, that little single set trigger on the CZ550 American is fantastic. The trigger is very adjustable and it comes with CZ rings. I mounted a Burris Fullfield in 4x12 on top of it. The whole rig is a bit on the heavy side, but then with a shooter like this, what the hell!!! Hope this helps if you are in the market for a CZ550 American. The rifle in the American configuration is well worth every penny, though I'd have it glassbedded if I were you, just for insurance...Tom Purdom