New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Loads for the 45 Long Colt
 Login/Join

<'Trapper'>
posted
Looking for favorite loads for the old 45 LC - will be shooting them in a New Model Blackhawk so I can safely go beyond the loads listed for the older Colts. Would like to know what powder and bullet combo has worked well both for hunting and accuracy.
Best regards,

------------------
'Trapper'

one of us
posted Hide Post
Normal use: 10.5gr. Unique, Keith #454427 = 1000 fps.

Heavy duty: 22.0gr. WC820, 310gr. Lee LBT style WFN= 1200 fps, works in mine but is probably too hot for sustained use.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Wild Bill>
posted
21.5 gr H110/W296, 325 gr hard cast bullet, Federal mag primers. I shoot these (not very many) out of an Anaconda. Good accuracy and the cases always slide right out of the cylinder.

<Eric>
posted
The .45 LC is just about my favorite cabiber. I've shot thousands out of my Ruger Black Hawk and my S&W 625. I'm partial to 11.0 grains of Unique and a .250 SWC, Federal LP primers. Its very accurate and shows no signs of high pressures. Some folks don't like Unique because it is a little smokey compared to newer powders, but I can stick it in just about every pistol caliber made and it works. That's good enough for me.

------------------
Surely we must all hang together, for separately we will all surely hang.

<farland>
posted
185 gr Remington
13.5 Unique 1418 fps.

200 gr Speer
13 grs. Unique 1349 fps

260 gr Speer
26.5 grs Winchester 296. 1421 fps. Awesome
The 260 gr. bullet with the slower Winchester powder dosent kick much worse than the 185-200 gr. bullets with Unique.
These are all Maximum loads that I shoot out of a little .45/410 Thompson Contender with a built in recoil reducer in the grips. No sign of excessive wear on any of the shells. Real kick in the pants to shoot. I usually go plinking with the 185's though because they are cheaper.