Notify
Tools

375 H&H
 Login/Join

<R. A. Berry>
posted
One load to do it all:

Rifle: Custom Pre-64 Winchester M-70

Barrel: 24" Douglas, 1 in 12" twist, #3 sporter, 0.625" at the muzzle.

Scope: Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8X

Bullet: Barnes X-Bullet 300 grains, cannelured and crimped, no bullet coating.

Case: Winchester plain brass, no nickel plating.

Powder: Reloder 15
Charge: 72.0 grains

Primer: Federal GM215M

Velocity: 2528 fps average for a 10 shot string. Standard deviation 9 fps.

Accuracy: sub MOA if I have a good day. 3/4 MOA is my best for 3 shots at 100 yards.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifle:
pre-64 M70, factory barrel, 24", 1-12, custom stock

Scope: (for load development only)
Zeiss 1.5 x 6

Bullet: (general purpose big game)
Nosler 300 gr. Partition

Case: Federal

Powder: Reloder 19

Charge: 80 grains

Primer: Federal 215

Velocity: approx. 2500fps (no chrono)

Bullet: (varmints)
Sierra 250 gr. SBT

Case: Federal

Powder: Reloder 15

Charge: 72.5 grains

Primer: Federal 215

Velocity: approx. 2850fps

Both loads will stay at MOA with the scope mounted. The 250 gr. Sierra is most impressive on jackrabbits, coyotes, and chucks. (coyote hunting and chuck shooting is done with the scope mounted, medium/big game with irons)

Regards,

------------------
~Holmes

"Those who appease a tiger do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last."
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Holmes,
That 250 grain Sierra SBT Gameking bullet is good for bigger stuff than coyotes and jack rabbits.

I used one of those at 2700 fps from the muzzle of my pet 375 H&H to shoot a 300 lbs. black bear at 200 yards. 0ne shot was all it took. That was a long time ago, and the powder I used was IMR 4064. I don't have a record of the charge used, but henceforth I wiil be following your recipe for the 250 grainers, with Federal brass and F 215 (or GM215M)primer to set off the 72.5 grains of RL-15.
. Thanks.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

one of us
posted Hide Post
RAB,

I couldn't agree more. Actually, Sierra projectiles have always been my favourites. Love those boattails!

I have really given the Noslers a workout the last year or so as I acquired a large supply quite by accident. The local Walmart was getting ready to "supersize" and consequently had a clearance sale advertised that was scheduled for two days only. When I went up to check it out, I discovered a bunch of Nosler 260 gr. Partitions on sale for 50% off! Apparently they were discontinuing all .375 calibre components. I bought all eight boxes.

When I got home, I heard a radio advertisement stating all the Wyoming Walmarts were doing the same thing. A few phone calls later, I ascertained there were more Nosler projectiles around the state to be had at $.50 on the dollar. I immediately called friends in Sheridan, Gillette, Rock Springs, and CHeyenne. They all agreed to hit the stores for me. I ended up with hundreds of 260 and 300 grain Partitions and that is what I have been working with over the last year or so.

I did shoot my antelope last year with the 250 Sierra. Easy broadside standing shot on an average buck from 170 yards. Took a rib going in and one on the way out. Lungs were simply evacuated. The goat did not take more than six steps.

I get better accuracy with the boattails, especially when I am shooting with my friends at the little prairie rats. They use conventional calibres for this and laughed when I first joined them. Now, when the wind kicks up, they see the advantage of a very stable heavy bullet out at three hundred yards.

This kind of practice over the years has taught me a lot about the trajectory of the .375. Many shooters think this is ridiculous, but my .375s and I have certainly become well acquanted!

My favourite .375 is a pre-64 M70 that Dale Story wedded to a McMillan stock and he massaged the trigger quite nicely. The rifle is in his shop as we speak. He is installing a set of Talley quick detach rings, bases, and back-up peep. I like to take my scope on and off for a variety of shooting practice and this will greatly ease that procedure.

Thanks for the data regarding the Barnes X. I really need to try some of those and see how my rifle likes them.

Take care and be well.

------------------
~Holmes

"Those who appease a tiger do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last."
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used (well, actually my son who I load for) a .375 H & H in a Sako TRG-S for elk and black bear with the 250 grain Sierra. It's extremely accurate with a full case (about 83 grains) of either IMR 4350 or H414. Velocity is just over 2800 FPS. I don't find magnum primers to be of any advantage.

None of our hunting has really offered an opportunity for critical evaluation of the terminal performance of this bullet, but as for accuracy and trajectory, the elk my son shot was a VERY long way off.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a post '64 model 70 that is my absolute favorite rifle. I have used it on elk, black bear, and hogs. May try it on deer this year after listening to some one talking about prairie doggin' with one! My favorite loads are as follows:

fed or win case
CCI magnum primer
67gr H4895 for 300gr
2562fps avg.

69gr H4895 for 270gr
2670fps avg.

I hunt with partitions and usually practice with Hornadys. That is one of the best things about this caliber, it doesn't seem too particular about bullet weight or type. Holmes, you've got me excited now, I can't wait for squirrel season to open!

[This message has been edited by 375hnh (edited 08-16-2001).]

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote