posted
What? No pet 460 Wby load? Here's mine, for plinking fun:

Rifle:
BBK-02 action
26" McGowen Stainless 1 in 12 twist.
Laminated wood stock.
Leupold 2.5 X.

Bullet:
500 grain Hornady (steel)FMJ and RNSP, or 500 grain Woodleigh solid and soft.

Brass: Weatherby, by Norma.
Primer: Federal 215
Powder: IMR 4350
Charge: 115 grains
Velocity at muzzle: circa 2500 fps
Accuracy: sub MOA, occasional 3-shot 100 yard cloverleaf with 0.5" center-to-center.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

[This message has been edited by R. A. Berry (edited 06-28-2001).]

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Is the 460 Weatherby dead? I guess we will just have to refer to the Reloading data pages where Mitch Carter has piled up the data for Saeed's listings.

------------------
RAB

<Okie Newton>
posted
I don't see how you can call it plinking when it is 460 wby. Good shooting.

------------------
Keep yer powder dry

<jagtip>
posted
The general consensus regarding optimum effectiveness for a .458 bullet of 500 grains seems to be about 2400 f.p.s.My favorite load for the 460 wby reflects this very closely....wby brass,federal 215 primer,H4350-108.0 grains,hornady 500 gr. This load will no doubt be unappealing to someone who prefers to load everything pedal to the medal but it's recoil is very mild in the mark V with accubrake,pressure's mild and I have little doubt that it will do all that needs doing.

<Varmint Hunter>
posted
Plinking with the 460 WBY. No problem. When I had one, my favorite groundhog load consisted of a Hornady 300gr hollowpoint at max throttle. Unfortunately, I'd really have to dig through a lot of old data to find the exact load.
This combo was quite lethal on the wild sabertooth groundhogs which can be frequently found in central PA.

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Varmint Hunter,
Now yer talkin'! I did that once with the 500 grain load.

jagtip,
There is nothing sacred about 2400 fps with the tough bullets available nowadays, IMHO, and in the opinions of many others, old fogeys not included.

------------------
RAB

[This message has been edited by R. A. Berry (edited 09-01-2001).]

<jagtip>
posted
RAB....Collective experience supports my contention.You have every right to disagree.However,your snide and arrogant remarks are uncalled for.I'll respond to you no more.

<R. A. Berry>
posted
WELL EXCUSE ME!
jagtip,
Read into it what you want. You seem to be the arrogant and condescending one to me. If you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the kitchen.

------------------
RAB

<jagtip>
posted
Dear RAB....It seems as though we've ruffled each others feathers for no good reason than I can think of.You began a post asking for other 460 wby loads.You gave yours.I responded and gave you mine.Simple as that.When I gave a brief explanation for the reasoning behind my preference,it may just be that you thought I was critisizing your load,perhaps if only in a subtle way.Nothing could be further from the truth.Actually,come to think of it,the loads we each gave are not that far apart.And even if they had been,I don't think it's reason enough to become adversaries.As for the reference "old fogeys",I am getting up in age and am a bit sensitive about it....But who knows,over a cold beer,we might even become good friends....jagtip

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Hey jagtip,
No hard feelings! Make mine a Castle or a Bud. The "old fogey" referred to Ray Atkinson, not you. He harps on the 2400 fps too. I know he can take the heat, as he gives and gets alot of it around here.

------------------
RAB

<jagtip>
posted
HEY RAB...Glad to see we're on speaking terms.You'll probably find this amusing...my name is Ray too.I'll try to be less touchy about my age.Maybe you'll understand some day.....I probably didn't express myself as well as I should've but I see absolutely nothing wrong with pushing a bullet faster than 2400.Nothing magical about the number 2400.And yes,bullet construction is available that is capable of holding up.I think I recall using the word"optimum".What I was thinking and should have made clearer is that in the interest of recoil recovery,lower pressure and an easier toll on the hardware in general,I question what is realistically being gained by pushing a large heavy bullet faster since so much feedback suggests that it isn't needed.It's never once occured to me that I can't be wrong since I so frequently am.Perhaps in my original post,I was too brief,hence the misunderstanding......jagtip