New
Find
Notify
Tools

Full Wadcutter loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for full wadcutter loads in the .41 and .44 mags: 180-grain for the .44 and 190-grain for the .41. Recommendations, gentlemen?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doubless. I see you have had no responses. My thoughts are as follows:
1. I have never seen a full wadcutter bullet for the 44 mag. I have seen semi wadcutter bullets, but not a full wadcutter. Are you sure you meant FULL wadcutter?
2. 180 grains is a rather light bullet for the 44mag. The lightest I have shot is a 200 grain and it did not shoot well. Why are you using this bullet?
I have no knowledge of the 41.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response, Peter...

The .44 bullet is the Lyman 429348, a 180-grain full wadcutter. (Lyman also made the 429354, a 245-grain full wadcutter, as well...)

The .41 bullet is a full wc by a custom mould maker.

I found an old load of 5 grs. of Bullseye for the Lyman 180, still working on something for the .41.

And I like to just plink sometimes. The N-frame Smiths can get kind of wearisome after three or four hundred rounds of full tilt stuff...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mr Jim Beagles
posted Hide Post
Peter, once upon a time Lee made a 160gr wadcutter for the 44. I used to have one but it got away from me.

If you can't have fun, what good is life?
Were liberals born that stupid or did they work at it?

Posts: 84 | Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubless, I shoot a 200gr semi wc out of my Blackhawk over 10gr of Unique for a midrange load. Maybe lighten up just a bit for your full wc.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting Oregon Trail Lazer-Cast SWC 240 gr. in a 10.5" bbl. Ruger New Super Blackhawk stainlees and a 4" Smith 629.

Hodgdon H110 powder was specifically developed for max velocities, case capacities, mag pressures of the magnum pistols. I'm sold on the stuff!

I load Oregon Trail Lazer Cast 158 gr SCW in .357 mag with H110, but for 38 spl I go to HS6.