45 gr Sierra varminter spitzer

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
A very timely post considering I was just loading some cases for my new (to me) cz 527. What is the COAL? The CZ is supplied with a short magazine. I have modified one to allow me to seat the Hornady 50 grain SP SX. That OAL is .1780".

Thx

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the COAL?

With the Sierra 45gr Spitzer Varminter, I am about 1.809" OAL. Now, with the seating die set there for these, if I switch to the Sierra 45 gr soft point Hornet, I get well under your OAL needed. This is due to bullet design. One thing I caution you with, is that I found these 45 gr Hornets vary quite a bit between each bullet in OAL. The bullet itself just does not have the consistency that the varminter does. If you're just into plinking or nailing the occasional groundhog\crow, etc, they might be fine for you. Hope this helps.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For pure accuracy, my load is a 52gr Sierra HPBTM, over 11.7gr Lilgun and ignited with a small pistol primer. This load generates about 2,650fps and is sub-MOA.

For coyotes, I use a Barnes 45gr XLC over 13.0grs Lilgun and a spp, generating around 2,900fps and shoots MOA.

In general, Remington cases hold more powder than any other I have used.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote