New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for 7x57 loads.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found a thread from back in 02. Looking for loads perhaps in the 120-140 gr. range rather than the 160-170 grain range. Also any powders other than H414?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If 145 grains is close enough, I use 50.0 grains of AA 4350 behind the Speer GS in my son's customized 03-A3...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer RL-19 in my M-70 Featherweight. 52 gr. and a 139 gr, Hornady does 2720 fps., while 52 gr. and a 140 gr. Nosler ballistic tip does 2800fps.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 50 to 52gr of H-4350 with a 139gr hornady 139 flatbase in my LONG-THROATED ruger tang safty gets me 2800 to right at 2900 and right around an inch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter, it appears that many of us use the more heavy bullets. Just for the heck of it, go to www.reloadersnest.com and click on "rifles." when the page comes up, scroll down to 7x57mm Mauser and click on it. There are a boatload of loads there for you to look through. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom. I am still waiting for my CZ from Bill Hicks, but I want to be ready!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Picked up my CZ today. Didn't have a chance to really look at it but it seems like a light handling rifle. Just what I wanted!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 7x57 Mauser, it really likes 52 grains of H4350 under a 139 Hornady Interlock. I was getting a chronographed 2825 fps with 50 grains of the same powder, so 52 grains should put it into the 2900 fps range.
Other reloaders have told me this load is very similar to a 270 Win which is no slouch.

Free speech has been executed on the altar of political correctness.

Posts: 100 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. I will try some of the loads mentioned. My rifle is the full stock version, so the velocities will presumably be lower.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter, now that you have had your fullstock for a few days, what are your thoughts on it. What scope do you plan to mount? Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have one that is a problem accuracy wise... try 40 grains of IMR 3031 and ANY bullet weight, up thru 175 grainers....and a Large Rifle primer.....

This season I have been using 44 grains of IMR 4895 with a 140 grain Corelokt and Ballistic Loads... still waiting for a kill tho...

This is in a Winchester Featherweight, with a factory barrel, and a 3 x 9 Leupold....MV with the IMR 4895 load is 2800 fps, out of a 22 inch barrel.. accuracy is perfect out to 300 yds..

All bullets are seated to full magazine length, as the Winchester was long throated from the factory... taking it out Elk hunting this week and we will see if It can put the skids on an Elk.... dancing

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7x57mm, I have not fired the gun yet. It handles beautifully (ie. is light). The bolt does not cycle as smoothly as my large bore CZ's. Could this be due to the plastic follower? I need to buy scope rings for the gun as it did not come with rings. I have some Talley's but they are for 30mm scopes and I only have one of those, already mounted. So, I will probably shoot it with open sights just to shoot it! I have a 1" scope sitting around, I think it is a Burris 4x 12 or something like that that I was planning on using, but as I say, rings first!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

I have found the 139 gr Hornady SP's (Interlock, flat base) to be some of the best 7mm bullets out there. For whatever reason they shoot very accurately and on game performance has been exceptional at impact velocities of ~ 2800 on down.

I am shooting a sporterized FN Venezualan 7x57 with the original barrel cut back to 18" on a mannlicher stock.

It LOVES 139gr SP's and 50 gr of H4350 seated to an OAL of 3.18 (one hundreth off the lands).

Have shot several sub .5 groups at 100yds and many many more sub inch while fiddling with the seating depth.

On game performance so far ... one whitetail doe @ 129 two weekends ago. Right behind left shoulder, OSOK, pass through.

Last year buddy used same bullet out of 280. Head on brisket shot at 50 yds (MV 2850) on a buck that dressed at 150. Complete pass through from brisket to left ham. DRT.

The 139 Interlock is the perfect deer bullet out of any mid velocity 7mm.

Posts: 58 | Location: Bemidji, MN | Registered: 20 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter, just keep cycling the bolt and your action should smooth out nicely. You might give CZ-USA a call and see if the company will swap out a steel follower for the plastic one. If you want to see if it is your follower, just drop the hinged floorplate. That will drop the follower out of the rifle and then cycle it. If it is still a tad rough then cycling will ease the roughness. They swapped out on my brothers' friend's rife and the cost was nothing. That was about five years ago, though. I really want to hear how your groups go with this rifle as the barrel is a 1x8.66 twist rate, usually more accurate with the longer surface bearing bullets (heavier weight). Good luck with your new rifle Peter. Tom Purdom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom, CZ is sending me a new metal floorplate, but say they haven't seen a metal follower from the factory in "several years"! I will take your advice and try dropping the floorplate to see if it really is the follower. The heaviest bullet I have is 160 grains I believe. Also, as I mentioned perhaps in another post, I do not have scope rings for this gun, so testing will be limited by my ability with open sights, probably at 50 yards until I get the rings.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
7x57mm. Follwoing advice I got Warne rings from Brownells and put a Simmons 2.5- 10 scope on it. I had so so results with the Nosler 120 grain bullets. About 2" groups at 100 yards. With 150 Grain Sierra BT Spitzers and 40 grains of IMR 4064 I shot a 3 shot group with all holes touching. My 5 shot group gave me 4 shots well under 1" but the 5th shot was about 2 inches away! Still, I'm pretty happy so far.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds as if you are off and running Peter. A buddy in New Mexico has excellent luck with 45 grains of H4350 and the 150 grain Nosler Partition. You might also investigate the Barnes TSX line. Have fun ... Tom Purdom

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded 52.5 grains of H414 with the 140 TSX, this is a hot-max load that is 64000 psi(not cup) on my pressure trace. I have shot thousands of these and they are safe in a long-throated rifle, which the CZ's usually are. In my Ruger this is a half-inch load that chronos 3013 fps. You can guess what this does to whitetails and mulies.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
The bolt does not cycle as smoothly as my large bore CZ's. Could this be due to the plastic follower?

Had the same problem with mine. Two things: check to see if the outside of the extracter is gauling, and check the sharpness or burrs on the rails. I had to do some serious stoning on both to eliviate the problem. A 1/2 hours work. cheersroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been pretty happy with IMR 3031 for heaver 175 gr. bullets.

For a lighter bullet

Rem brass
Fed 210 primer
Hornady 139gr. #28209 (Interbond)
42.3 gr. IMR 4895
for a measured 2785 FPS out of my 24" barreled Ruger.

This is the CIP velocity load for the 7X57 with this bullet weight, at least in my gun.

Hope this helps...

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote