New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loads for Fast Twist 1 in 8 223 Rem
 Login/Join

Picture of 22win
posted
I need some proven loads for a Tikka T3 Lite 223 Rem.
It has a 1 in 8" twist. What are your favorite loads?
Thanks, Mark

Posts: 48 | Location: Northcentral PA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few loads that work in fast twist barrels for me are.
*60 Sierra varmint HP, 26 grains Varget, Fed Match primers, Winchester or Lapua brass.
*69 Sierra match, 25 grains Varget, Fed Match primers, Winchester or Lapua brass.
*60 Nosler Ballistic tips, 26 grains Varget, Fed Match primers, Winchester or Lapua brass.
Both the 60 grainers are death on coyotes. The 69's are a super accuracy load. Good luck, Jim

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have that same rifle, bought about a year ago. I've had other rifle projects and haven't started reloading yet. But I did buy a box of Federal Gold Match factories loaded with 69gr Sierra match king that jbok recommended.

After some plinking and sighting in, I shot 15 rounds as fast as I could reload the clip 5 at a time. All 15 rounds were inside a 1" square.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
75 and 80 grain bullets...

25 grains of IMR 4064...

A Maxes or HPs...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

These are not my concept of plinking loads but if you want to hunt with heavier .224" bullets; try the Speer 70 grain Semi-Spitzer or the RWS 74 grain Kegelspitz.

Start @ 22.5 grains of IMR-4320 and work your way up; the usual caveats apply.

The majority of reasonable loads assembled with said bullets MAY clock 2900fps depending on your barrel although most will be trotting along in the upper 2800 fps and will take the .223 Remington into an entirely new realm of Big Game cartridge ..... hopefully without starting another whole new avalanche of BS here.

Good shooting and have fun with your heavy bullet .224" loads!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
80gr Berger VLD win case CCLbr primers 24gr of varget!!

Posts: 155 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 69 Sierra and 25-25.5 gr RL15 or Varget whichever shoots best. I am going to try TAC in mine one of these days, supposed to work well and a bit cheaper for a high volume caliber. RL15 shoots a bit better in my rifles.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady 60 gr v-max
26.5 gr Varget
COL 2.25
1/4" groups

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote