Find
Notify
Tools

favorite reloading books
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
Most of us own or should own at least 3 or more reloading manuals, I use 7 for comparison purposes each caliber that I have has trendacies to not really treat certain calibers with alot of respect. That is the reason I pull from so many. Am I alone on this? I load for 8 different calibers and there are discrepencies on powder charges by as much as 5 grains. I know they have to take precautions but who do you think is really going for the GUSTO when they print the findings because I have found for the most part there max loads are a starting point I have been loading 30 years and have all my fingers and both eyes.WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE? Anyone have any comments?

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a lot of loading manuals and refer to them all when loading for a new or specific caliber. I do like Sierra's "accuracy load" and "hunting load" data, gives from my experience a good place to start.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
I have several but the one that I used the most was Speer Number 12. When I was younger I used to like experimenting but I've simplified my life somewhat by settling on one powder that is good for all the calibres I load for.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of NRC
posted Hide Post
If I could only have 2:

Ken Waters - Pet Loads

and

Wildcat Cartridges (the combo edition with Vol I and II)

Posts: 52 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P.O. Ackley's 2 volumes

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gosh, I'd be hard pressed to choose a favorite. Over the years I have found the following sources useful (in no particular order): Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, Barnes, several Lyman manuals, Lee, _Taffin Tests_, _Pet Loads_, other Wolfe compendium publications, relevant back issues of _Rifle_ and _Handloader_, Winchester data pamphlets, and A-Square. Good hunting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The three very best I know, in this sequence of recommendation:

1. A-Square (Any Shot You Want)
2. RUAG/DNAG Wiederladen ("Blue Book")
3. Vapenjournalens Ladebok

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cal, good question. My favourites are Lyman and Speer. My least favourite, although still very useful is Nosler. (a little rant brewing) I find Noslers velocities exagerated too frequently. I forget the load, but could find it again, where Nosler states a velocity 3oo'/s faster than Lyman, which I find to be close to the mark most of the time. Although even with Nosler there are things I like, such as loading density and accuracy loads, which are helpful. Just shows, you need a library. Ron.D

Posts: 59 | Location: Barrie Ont. Can. | Registered: 20 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Speer #12 alot, as well as an older single volume Hornady.

The Lyman book is very informativ as well as the Ackley manual.

Another book which I don't use, but flip through alot at the shop is Modern Reloading by Richard Lee.

It has a ton of calibers and tons of loads for each.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate to admit it but they are the only books I read!

In order of most used:
Metallic Cartridge Reloading, 3rd edition. It really is a compendium of the other load manuals. It's about 10 years old and become a bit dated. I wish they would come out with the next edition soon.

Ken Waters - Pet Loads and Wildcat Cartridges (the combo edition with Vol I and II) are both very good but also dated unless you like IMR power.

I use the Barnes #3 for X bullets and the Speer #13 for reduced loads.

With all the new powders and bullets on the market I can understand the time, manpower and expense to compile a new version.

It still amazes me, in this day and age, that our government still allows us to handload our own ammunition relatively unfettered.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
It still amazes me, in this day and age, that our government still allows us to handload our own ammunition relatively unfettered.

I am also this is one of the reasons I buy so much in the line of reloading componets.
One day they will demonize us as a threat.
anyways Ken Waters books are biased in the form of IMR powders are they?I will try to find some.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
quote:

I am also this is one of the reasons I buy so much in the line of reloading componets.
One day they will demonize us as a threat.
anyways Ken Waters books are biased in the form of IMR powders are they?I will try to find some.

i have several thousand bullets cast for just such an occasion..........i need more brass and should stock up on powder and primers......

DO I SOUND PARANOID???

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Hornady, Hodgdon, Lyman, Sierra, and Vihtavouri while using Big Bore Rifles and Cartridges as well as my own data compiled over the years.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 596 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Sieveboy
posted Hide Post
Philip Sharpe's

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady, Speer and Barnes #3.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
Not a loading manual, but I have a copy of Principles and Practice of Reloading Ammunition by Earl Naramore, an ancient book that examines the art and science of Reloading at its deepest levels. 900 pages of everything and anything you might want to know.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady, Lyman, Sierra, P.O. Ackley, IMR, and Alliant loading books/information. My choices are mostly a result of my choices of bullets and powders that I use.

Lyman is good for cross-referencing. Ackley's books (due to 1960 publishing dates) is more for recreational reading and comparisons, but I wouldn't consider using it as an "only" or "ultimate" source.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman, "Old" Hodgdon, Sierra, Nosler, Barnes, AA and then the pamplets put out by RL, WW, and Vitivohri. The one I'd be lost without is the old Hodgdon which has data from WW and IMR. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I use the Nosler#3,Nosler#5,speer#11,speer#12,Hornady#2,
Hornady#4,Hodgdon#25,N.R.A. book of reloading and very numerous pamphlets from the powder manufactures themselves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the A-Square manual is the best read out in a while but Nosler Speer Vihta Lapua Hodgdon Sierra Lyman are all good to keep around to compare against each other. PO Ackley's are a good read also.

A-Square wins the most interesting read available right now in my mind.

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesModern Reloading by Rhichard Lee. He seems to barrow all the information from everybody else and put it in one book. Great one manual cross reference 85% of the time.

For most of my loading life the Speer manuals were number one. Still use it once in a while but seldom at best. Things change !! sofa roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Bartsche,

You look like Santa!!!

One of Us
Picture of stag wolf
posted Hide Post
Hi new to forum live in uk (yorkshire)the one manual i tend to use is the lyman 47th all the others just gather dust.

Posts: 67 | Location: outside | Registered: 19 September 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
Pet Loads by Ken Waters is my favorite. I like the story about load development that he has with each caliber and have always found his most accurate loads to be great starting points and sometimes stopping points.

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Pet Loads by Ken Waters is my all-time favorite.
Lyman Reloading Manual information is very close to what I Chronograph, I assume since they don't make bullets or ammo then they can tell the truth! I cross reference these two books when I start working up new loads or calibers!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old "Hodgdon Data Manual" and PO Ackley's 2 volumes.

The Data Manual (1996) I think, gives me a book to "shop" in -- compare powders, velocities, weights, etc. Gives a discussion of the development of most calibers, some discussion for muzzle loading shotguns.

Ackley is sort of "dated" -- 1962.

Public libraries generally have stacks of OLD reload books. The old data is suspect I think. Lot's of changes in past years.

I'm finding that each mfg. posts load data online, it's accurate, reliable, updated, and FREE.

Then there are forums like these --

So when loading a new caliber, I shop around for ideas, check online, talk to other reloaders, and then get a "feel" for what will work for me.

The rest is all about benches, targets, and a chrono.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own quite a few loading manuals from all the different bullet a powder manufactures but my favorite is Ken Waters "Pet Loads I & II"

Rooster

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Lyman (component neutral), new Sierra and old Speer books and one a those Digest books on reloading. It's got a comprehensive chart of powder to factory cartridge Max loads.

rich

Posts: 6422 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Online -- M.D. Smith's Reloading Page

http://www.reloadammo.com/

Varmint Al's Reloading -- which is about "how" more than how much.

http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I have many manuals. I troll the used bookstores looking for them.

I use Speer #12 most often.

Honorable mention to the Lee Manual.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
I've used the Nosler, Speer, Lyman, Lee, Hogdon, Barnes, And Sierra manuels. I find that each have their strong points, but perfer the Nosler, and oh yes Ken Waters pet loads. I agree with you, cal30 1906, that some calibers are given little respect, espically the 270 weatherby mag. I believe the barnes manual gives higher velocites for the 270 Win with the 180gr barnes than the wearthby, and the nosler research in the #3 manual is a joke.

"300 Win mag loaded with a 250 gr Barnes made a good deer load". Elmer Keith

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman 47, Lyman Cast bullet hand book,
Speer Manual # 6....( 1966 published)...
Hodgdon # 26

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Been loading alot recently for the Barnes TSX in 6.5mm RM and 338 WM. I've run into some problems just using Barnes #3 with the tsx "loading tips".
Sure wish the new book would come out! I have been working with IMR 4350 and the 120 grn TSXBT in the 6.5 RM and Varget with the 210 grn tsx in the 338. OAL is really restricted in the mod 600 remington, the 338 WM is an L61R with a long throat and Mag.
Any success stories.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading, volume 4; Nosler Reloading Guide, volume 4; Modern Reloading by Richard Lee; Hodgdon Data Manual No. 25; Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd Edition; Barnes Reloading Manual, 3rd Edition; Swift Reloading Manual Number 1; Sierra Reloading Manual 3rd Edition in no particular preference of order.

Posts: 116 | Location: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady #2 and NRA with Norma site for trajectory comparisons.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
45/70, et al,

the reason the newer reloading manuals generally give lower max loads is called Lawsuits. I have several Speer and that is what a friend up there informed me eight or ten years ago. They would prefer not to even do one, but fear losing market share if the did not continue.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Metallic Cartridge Reloading

Pet Loads

Handloading for Competition

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have worn out several manuals. I normally use the Speer #12 cross referenced with Lyman and IMR.
I also use Hodgdon, older Speers, and an old Hornady. Odd data is where you find it so it pays to keep a variety of the old manuals around.
I have found typo errors in a manual not listed here so I trust no one's data without several cross references.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, PET LOADS (Ken Waters)
then, Lyman 47th; Sierra Manual; Barnes, Nosler, Speer, Hornady and others (for example: Big Bore Rifles and Cartridges).
Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
I'm being pretty redundant here, but I really like Lyman 47 and Metallic Cartridge Reloading for their instructional content. MCR is really in-depth and might be a bit much for a rookie reloader in my opinion but it's good stuff nevertheless.

I enjoy reading Waters' Pet Loads, but don't really use the information for working up my own loads. I also consult with manuals from Speer, Hogdon, Hornady, Nosler, Barnes, and a few others. I'm mostly loading TSX at the moment so the Barnes is getting the most work of late.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote