THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FAVORITE LOADS FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found Nosler book. Found H4350. Working...............
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Somehow I managed to misplace both my load book and my Nosler manual which I had my fav load jotted down. I am loading 300gr partitions in .375 H&H. I was using H4350, Win. cases. I think the load was around 79 or 80 grains with a WLR primer, I just can't remember. Velocity right at 2600. Does this sound right? My rifle is a model 70 safari express 24" 1-12twist made about 10yrs ago.

Confirmation anyone?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Andy,

I looked in 5 different references including the two most recent Nosler manuals and H4350 is not listed in any of them. The two Nosler manuals list IMR 4350 with a max of 75 gr and 2452 fps. The only Nosler loads approaching 2600 is a max load of W760.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem is I have never owned or purchased IMR4350. I had H4350 on hand when I developed the loads. Perhaps I should just contact Nosler.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just went thru Loaddata.com and they have two listings for h4350 with 300gr Partition and both showed 75gr as max. They did have a listing of 81.5gr max of h4350 for a 300gr sierra at over 2600fps. You may have worked up to something over 75gr in your rifle. W760 is touted as the "best" powder for the 300gr bullet in the 375H&H. I have two 375's and they seem to like about whatever powder I try.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 'complete reloading manual' for 300 & 375 H&H shows start 300 gr partition and 4350 at 71 gr to max at 75, 2452 fps. bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, looked again and the manual is for IMR.

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found my Nosler book. It does not show a published load for H4350. Penciled in in my handwriting is "COMPRESSED, BUT GREAT!, H4350 80gr" No velocity given. I would like to find my load book now to see what the velocity of this load was. The problem is I don't remember using a chrony.

I know, I know, dumb thing to do. I was going on pressure signs alone. I don't remember any sticky bolts, case bulges, cratered/flattened primers. I was also going on group size and it just kept getting smaller. At some point I stopped and must have settled on 80.0gr. I just wish I could find real world confirmation that what I was doing was correct. I had some pretty good guidance from an old benchrest loader at the time and I trusted that he would not steer me wrong. He is no longer with us. All that knowledge gone.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In "Handloads That Work" by John Barsness, he recommends 76 grains of H4350 with a 300 grain bullet for about 2500 fps. Doesn't reference which brass or primer. I use 75.8 grains with 300 grain A-Frame for about 2550 fps when the temperature is in the 80's. But, it needs about 78 grains to get that same speed when the temperature gets down in the 40's or 50's. All my loads are with Federal 215m primers.

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."

Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 30 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update: Nosler referred me to the Hodgdon website where there is no data for this bullet. I both emailed and called Hodgdon and so far no response. Interestingly enough it seem that Hodgdon is now producing IMR powders and Win powders. I have seen big kegs of Win296 that have a H110 plaque inside the keg.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drew, you can get both Hodgdon and Nosler info at their websites AND print them.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler refers you to Hodgdon's.

Hodgdon's only has data for 300gr Sie SBT.

Is the data interchangeable?

I also have 250ea of the 300gr FailSafes. This would be uncharted territory, as I have not loaded for FailSafes before.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have any old rounds that you could pull one apart and weigh powder charge? If in doubt, reduce and work up again.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed, That was my first thought. I can't find any.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well folks, I have now looked everywhere including my climate controlled storage storage and I can't find my H4350. Anybody in the Corpus Christi area want to trade H4350 for H870?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
With all the misplacing, forgotten things, are you sure you are still of sound mind to be handloading?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
FYI, go to www.reloadbench.com/burn.html or www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp to get relative burn rates of 173/267 different powders.
XMR4350, IMR4350 and Norma N204 are very close.

Posts: 21 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing fun about ZR2s except when I blow them off the road with my CUMMINS!

That said my mind is just fine, thank you very much.

Eat black smoke!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
There is nothing fun about ZR2s except when I blow them off the road with my CUMMINS!

That said my mind is just fine, thank you very much.

Eat black smoke!

Like asking for reloading help, perhaps you need a second opinion on that self-diagnosis. Smiler No offense intended. But your posts did read, well for a better word, scatterbrained.

As far as Cummins goes, real trucks use Caterpillar diesel engines. stir

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess there's no real over the road trucks anymore as Cat has withdrawn from that market. Couldn't compete with CUMMINS. CUMMINS is also the only medium-duty rated diesel in a light duty truck(pickup). Ask the guys maintaining them which ones hold up better!

The only thing Cat really has going for them is name recognition. Ask the guys that work on them.

I have seen 55ton dumptrucks with 14litre CUMMINS I6 engines!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not interested in a pissing contest. Bring your ZR2 with a caterpillar engine and meet me in the parking lot when you get out of high school. I'll bring my CUMMINS powered 2500 and a chain to put between them.

To the rest of you that did not start by questioning my state of mind thank you for your input. Your help is much appreciated.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bully!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dancing jumping dancing

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

On a more mature note.....Whatever became of the GMC/Chevy-Cyclone/Typhoon? I got to drive one of those and it was a streetrod from the factory with that viscous coupling all wheel drive. The best part was it would do 0-60 in 5.0sec on wet roads!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess they're all packed in mothballs waiting for a big payday at the upcoming Barrett-Jackson auction.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
isn't h4350 the australian powder made by adi, and sold here as ar2209. hodgon market as h4350. i load 80gr with the 300gr dgx in my 375hh, a nice working load. also you could reference the adi reloaders mannual on line or source nick harvey reloading mannual.

Posts: 191 | Location: Australia | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Not a .375 H&H owner but I always check recommended loads here as Steve has compiled the most extensive database of printed data I know of.

Here's a link to make you feel better. He shows as high as 81.5gr.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote