New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 223 Competiton load?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm still looking for a really good load to shoot in my 8 twist Bushy DCM gun using 69 gr. Sierra's. Varget shoots pretty good but I'd like to start shooting Vihtavouri powder or something that runs thru my powder measure more
consistently than Varget. Thanks.
sbsmith

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 25.5 grains of WW748, and 69gr. SMKs. Meters very well and is very accurate in my Savage 110FP. I use it for F class.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had good results with Benchmark & 69gr.SMK.
JL

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JAL-
Thanks for the info but could you give the load?
Thanks.
Regards,
sbsmith

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...8 twist Bushy DCM gun using 69 gr. Sierra's. Varget shoots pretty good...

Although you don't like Varget (due to it's metering), that's what I use.

24.5 grains of Varget pushing various Sierra bullets (80's back at 600 and 69's "up close").

Another good load that I've seen guys using is IMR 4895 (unsure of charge weight).

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
24.6 grains of IMR4895 and a 69 grain Sierra, give me one inch or less groups at 100Yds. In my 1/9 Olympic DCM Ar. Dosen't meter all that well, but I weigh every charge anyway, so it dosen't matter. This loads shoots best in my rifle, but H335 isn't far behind.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting service rifle for a number of years and have played around with alot of powders. In my opinion, the two best powders to shoot across the course with 69 and 80 grainers through a 1-7 to 1-8 twist barrel is RL15 or Vhita N140. Im' not knocking Varget. It's a very good powder, I just never took a shine to it.

69gr SMK, 25.0-25.5 grains N140, Rem7 1/2 or CCI BR4 primers and mixed brass.

80gr SMK, 24.2-24.7 grains N140, Rem7 1/2 or CCI BR4 primers and Win brass.

These loads have shot lights out for me in an Armalight DCM, Compass Lake Douglas and Kreiger barrels. I don't think you will be sorry with these loads.

One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
V V N135 works very well.

Posts: 86 | Location: Idaho, Boise. | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sbsmith:
JAL-
Thanks for the info but could you give the load?
Thanks.
Regards,
sbsmith

Sorry, I missed your request.

27" ss barrel 1in 8, various cases cciBr primers
BM2 (Aust) same as Hodgens Benchmark (I believe)
23.5, 24, 24.1, 24.5, (24.6 in light Rem cases)
All shot from 3/8" to 7/8".
These tumbled at 900 yards but were STILL accurate enough to stay in the bullseye.
John.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote