THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Riding when you favor one leg?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Riding when you favor one leg?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had some bad bursitus in my left hip last year and as a result I favor my right leg and besides constantly having to shift my saddle to the left to keep it centered I am not as effective in keeping my leg on the horse etc.
Just so you know I'm riding an english saddle...foxhunting so its cross country walk, trot, canter, hand gallop and jumping hard things....fences and stone walls not more than 3 and a half feet. Maybe 3-4 hours at a time with the pace spread pretty even;y between the various gaits. It can be hard riding on any given day or a walk in the park if the scent is poor and the hounds can't get on anything.
Just wonder if anyone else has dealt with such a physical problem before and what you did to compensate. The bursitus is gone now but the leg is still weak.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Around here they would tell me to "Cowboy up" and quit whining!! [Wink]

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dadgummit Ray, sometimes you're just plain mean. [Big Grin]

Kentucky

That's why the reins are leather, so you can get a good grip with your teeth when your eyes start to water. [Razz]

I think you will just have to grin and bear it. Your hips take alot of abuse when you ride hard.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not mean its the bunch I run with, if I cut my toe or ear off they would tell me to "cowboy up" thats a long way from your heart..

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
KN,

That is what vitamin I was invented for. It's the old person's ahces and pains remedy.

Good old Ibuprophen.

If you are sitting uneven you are causing your horse to make up being unbalanced while you are hunting. Sounds like you have a trusty one, make sure he or she does not end up with a sore back until you are fully recovered.

What hunt do you subscribe too?

[Smile]

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
<<Dadgummit Ray, sometimes you're just plain mean>>
"There aint no Sundays west of Omaha"

sheephunter [Razz]

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a member of Long Run Hounds in KY. We have about 45 families and a professional kennel with somewhere around 60 hounds. (though we only hunt perhaps 20-25 at a time)
Had a hunt last Saturday and ran a coyote for a good 45-minutes... Was in a 2 point most of that time up and down some decent hills. 4.5 hours in the saddle that day... The slowest we moved was a trot. We hunt over three fixtures ranging from 5,000 to 8,000 acres. Game is red fox, grey fox and coyote...

And don't none of you smart alec cowboys make fun of my fancy ridin' clothes either...

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Looks like you got a nice hoss there, Nimrod.

Now all you need are some pinks and a top hat. I miss following hounds. If I get my way and relocate in the future I will look for a new hunt to subscribe to.

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just remember to say "Tally ho the fox" NOT "There goes the Son of a bitch"...My last invitation!