THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Re: Working on problem areas (ground work)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Working on problem areas (ground work)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted
Well, just in case anyone is interested, here's the 'progress report':

Seem to have found out what was up w/ the tendency to fight-and-thrash-until-senseless while tied. Normally I took advantage of when the better half and daughter took their horses in for 4-H ride nights to work w/ my horse (no distractions). Even w/ the rope-through-the-halter and around the chest, or the Be-Nice halter, the horse would start pulling back until she couldn't stand it any more, and then surge forward against the fence, back and forth, until I was getting pretty worried about her getting a leg thru the fence boards and snapping a leg. Turns out she is herd-bound like crazy to the other two, even though they continually bully here when they are there. Go figure.

Now, w/ them there, she stays tied pretty well, and about the only reason I use the Be-Nice now is because it fits better than the rope halter I have for her. Looks like I'll have to get a new regular halter that fits better. Once I could get the horse to stand tied, I progressed w/ the work on the back feet. Ended up having to side-line her to get over that hurdle, but she's coming around nicely now. Think she's figured out that a) I'm going to work w/ the back feet whether she likes it or not, and I'm not going to hold her weight while I'm doing it, and b) it's a whole lot less hassle to just let me slowly work w/ the feet than throwing a temper tantrum. Hope to get the farrier out here this week, as the feet need trimmed pretty badly. At least now it won't be too much of a rodeo, I hope.

Thanks,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
I guess it's a little late for you, but we deal with all these problems while our horses are still weanlings, it aint nearly as dangerous for you or them. We use the body rope and it apparently is working for you, as it usually does. The important thing is to keep working on her and make it understood you are not a leaning post. At least she isn't kicking when you try to pick up the leg.
Grizz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote