Find
Notify
Tools

Carnivorous Horse?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I have a rather unusual gelding. He hunts rabbits and has killed several in the past. He also looks for their nests and stomps the baby bunnies, all of them. I am not sure how he has learned or decided to do this, he has seen me shoot rabbits. I also have chickens but he does not bother them.

Even stranger, I put a deer pelvis with both femurs still attached out in the paddock area for the chickens to pick clean. I had nearly all of the meat cleaned off of it except in the hard to reach areas. Well, guess who has the pelvis in his mouth? Yep, quite a sight with him flipping it and those femurs flapping back and forth.

Anyone else known of such strange behavior in a horse?

He gets premium feed and plenty of it!

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anne, When we had our hobby farm we had a couple of strange critters around there. One of my sisters horses hated mice and would stalk and kill them,a boarders horse would pick up a stick and whoop on the other horses and cows. We also had a rabbit that thought it was a watchdog and would run up to strangers when they drove into the yard and growl at them. It never growled at the same person twice! That bunny also played fetch the stick. Now carniverous,I saw on an educational channel cows that were fed fish in the winter in Northern Manitoba because proper feed was so hard to get up there. Go figure. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote