THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Rabies - Farriers and Horsepeople Beware.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rabies - Farriers and Horsepeople Beware.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A llama tested positive for rabies in Colorado recently. People who work with horses and other such animals need to make sure the animals they come into contact have their vaccinations up to date.

Trimming hooves and such often results in cuts and abrasions on your hands and horse slobbers can carry the virus.

Be safe!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, don't let a Llama spit on you. Big Grin Only good Llama is a dead one, seen from here. Noah should have left them off the Ark. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of llama either. They are too much like a camel, ugly and with a nasty disposition (kind of reminds of some people who post on AR) LOL.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
About 50 years ago, I went to the pasture to bring in one of my stud horses, turned out he was rabid, foaming at the mouth, running and falling down, then he came for me, lucky I was riding a good horse and he was falling and stumbling...also I had my combat magnum in my chap pocket..I shot the poor bastard 6 times and rode off and watched him at a distance, it took him 20 or so minutes to die..

Was a hard day, he was a nice behaved stud horse that the kids could ride, part of the family actually..Skunk, Badger or some small animal bit him on the nose as he was grazing or perhaps curious, who knows..vet checked him the next day, and we burned him to ashes..the horse not the vet! Roll Eyes

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's tough, but it could have been one heckofa lot worse. Imagine if that horse had infected you or one of your family members.

I was in Thailand back int he mid-70s and rabies was fairly prevalent. We had a dog that lived under the bungalow and she had just had some pups, and one night a rabid dog attacked her.

Within a couple of days, the dog started acting weird and had to be killed. All of her pups had been killed by the rabid dog but one, and I was hand raising it, but decided the safe thing to do was put it down.

Didn't have a gun I could use, so I used my hands. I still see that pitiful little tail wagging in a futile attempt to stay alive. To this day, I can only hope I made the right decision.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
That was my second run in with a horse in the pasture with rabids, the second one I loped to the house and got a rifle remembering how big and tough they are..That area along the Mexican border had their share of rabies from wild dogs in Mexico that would cross the river. water is the first thing a rabid animal will look for.

There is no excuse for not getting proper shots (rabies etc) for horses and all pets these days.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote