Find
Notify
Tools

Yukon & horses
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Daryl,
I have read Elmer Kieth and others hunts into the Yukon and I am fascinated by the country up there. I think the ultimate trip would be a sheep, goat, bear, moose, deer, wolf & anything else, 20 day safari on horse back. How do you guys keep your stock from being harassed by wolves & bears? What's the trail network like in those mountains? If it takes 3 draft horses to pack one moose a trip like the one I mentioned would look like a Abercrombie & Fitch safari train. I bet you guys have some stories....

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lief,

Yes, the Yukon is fasinating country. A small portion of it gets hunted. If I only take one or two animals, I can hunt for a week or less. To hunt a mixed bag, you need 2 weeks or more and lots of horse power. My personal hunts are generally for a week. I will hunt sheep in Aug. Moose in Sept. Caribou, anouther time. There are areas A guy can hunt most all species in the same place and the same time.
Not much for horse feed, either. Not like in Northern B.C.
There is not much for trails here other than following game trails. Game is so spread out that the trails are thin. I follow creek and river bottoms as long as thier not choked with trees or swamp. When I hit swamp, I take the high ground and go around. Sometimes, we trail down the river itself. When I was guiding for Widrig Outfitters, we traveled down the snake river for about 30 miles to get to a good sheep area. I forget exactly how many times we cross that river back ad forth. 20+ times. It takes 7 long days to get a horse into the snake river valley. Now and then a horse is lost or does not survive the trail in or out. Personally, I think the trail sucks. The Outfitter is smart. He keeps it that way to keep people out. Trailing out is not for pussies. It is usually -20 - -25 below and the days are short.
For the most part, bears and wolves don't bother the horses. The horses don't seem too overly concerned about them either. Unless a horse gets left behind for some reason. Then they pretty much always get ate. In a herd, they are safe. 1 or 2 left alone, they don't have much of a chance.
Yes, there are many good stories. I have some good video and pictures as well. Some day soon when I have more time to learn how to use this computer I would like to share a few pics.
Any more questions, just ask.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote