New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horses for hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been riding for years, and have often thought about, but not used horses for hunting. Have used them for farm work, mustering and so-on, but was concerned about the effect noise would have on the animals (they're so sensitive, don't you know!). Also, the country I've hunted up to now has been adequately serviced by bikes or 4WD's - flat, relatively open country. Have recently moved, and now hunt on, some of the most beautiful, rugged country this continent (Australia) has to offer. We're talking deer, here! Lugging the kill out is a real pain!!!! Some of the terrain had the hair standing up on both my and my son's heads, and we're both experienced and confident in the bush! A 4 legged critter would have been a lot more comfortable to be on than the Landcruiser, and bikes would have been a real handfull trying to control them. Anyone on this forum got any ideas as to what makes a good hunting horse? Or can a horse be trained to not be gun shy? Thanks.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whtailtaker
posted Hide Post
"Anyone on this forum got any ideas as to what makes a good hunting horse? Or can a horse be trained to not be gun shy? Thanks."

Well the first thing you do is carry your rifle out into the round pen -bring in the horse that you are trying to make spook proof- pet the horse touch it with the rifle, let it smell it- then after a while while in front of the horse fire a round [make sure the horse is looking at you and your rifle] then let the horse smell the rifle-
it may take a few time to get to horse not to spook- also place chickens in the barn with the horse that will get the horse where it won't spook when something fly by-up-over -around it
throw corn under the legs of the horse while it is in the stall- this will help get the horse out of predator mode!!
eventually you will have the horse where you can shoot off his back!!!!

I did this with my Shire stallion- it got to where the chicken roosted on his back

good hunting
whtailtaker

Posts: 127 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina and Regions West | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whtailtaker:

..............eventually you will have the horse where you can shoot off his back!!!!
good hunting
whtailtaker

I have found that you can usually get off one shot from any horse's back. [Wink]

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whtailtaker
posted Hide Post
Mickey 1

thats prior to them putting your d--k in the dirt!

unless you can shoot and hold on at the same time
i would not advise it--

then again the ride would be fun-

[ 10-31-2003, 20:55: Message edited by: whtailtaker ]

Posts: 127 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina and Regions West | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where I grew up, this was a common thing. We hunted deer and hogs off of horses. Was quite a shock, when I got older, and realized it was a bit illegal [Frown] I don't recall anything we did that was special, to train the horse... We just went huntin'. I suppose you could "condition" them to gunfire, starting off with a .22 rimfire, the progressing to more powerful cartridges. I do remember one horse we had, didn't like for you to shoot over the top of his head - off to one side was okay. If you busted one off (a shotgun, usually)between his ears, he was comming over backwards! Most everybody learned this the same way - by doing it! It made for a pretty good joke around the hunting camp [Big Grin] In this animal-rights conscious era, I suppose you should equip your horse with some sort of hearing and eye protection, though [Wink] As a final thought, I wouldn't go out with a horse that wouldn't "ground tie". That could get you isolated in a hurry!>>>>>>>>>>>Bug.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whtailtaker, seems to me that what you suggest would be a good idea - maybe I'll start her with a 22LR before the 270! Also the idea of chooks in the yard is a good one. I've often wondered what would happen if I took a shot while on her back, and figured that I would only get one off before I had a long walk home! No real predators around where I am, although wild dogs and dingos can be a bit of a pain, but the horses know how to deal with dogs - never knew dogs could fly until I saw one approach orbit speed after it hassled one of the horses! Dog succumbed to lead poisoning soon after - couldn't trust it with the horses, sheep, or cattle - nice dog, though. I'll get her nto the round yard over the next few days and see how things go. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As was said shooting .22shorts with horses near and gradually going louder. We use horses here alot and actually have a gelding that pulls his ears back touching his neck when you take aim at something. We shoot gophers off horseback in summer with .22's.When we load horses to go north hunting it's almost as if they know what's up and seem to like the change of scenery.For the most part you will never be lost if you ride a smart horse and let him find his own way back to camp.We find horses to be more reliable than quads. The only downside is you feed the SOB for 11 months. to use it for 1 month.Mark

Posts: 109 | Location: Sask.Ca | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
358Mark, You need to get into some other horse centered hobbies. ie Competitive trail Riding, endurance rides, mounted orenteering. Keeps your horse in shape for hunting and gives you something to enjoy in the non-hunting times of the year.

First off all I don't shoot "Off the horse back" Most of my hunting is Big Open country with long shots. I can't hold steady enough while sitting on a horse.

But I do hunt from the horse and just dismount find a rock/tree/my pack and shoot. So I've had to teach my horses not to spook and run off and leave me. I don't want to have to worry about the horse while I'm aiming at a deer/elk.

I started by shooting my 22 around the horses. 10-15feet off to one side and moving closer. First lessons are done while the horse is hungry and has just been feed. I work up to larger guns as the horse demonstrats his comfort level.

I extend the same courtesy to my horses that I do to hunting buddies. Never shoot so the muzzle blast hits them in the ears. I just drop the reins and step off to the side before I shoot.

My horses will usually startle. But they have learned to not run off.

As far as packing. You also need to introduce your horse to blood and dead wild animals. If you can get a fresh hide, hang it on the fence by their water or feed. They will get used to it.

If you use your horse year round and they trust and respects you, you will not have a problem loading a dead deer on their back. If they are pasture potatoes that you only use 1 week a year. Look out. They will let you know that they don't like those new smells or the feel of dead weight flopping around on them.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Painted Horse, your post makes a lot of sense (as do all the others). I really doubt that I could hold steady enough for a shot off the horse, and I damned well know I wouldn't appreciate it if someone let off a 270 when I wasn't expecting it - my main concern is what would happen if I let off a shot when I was near the horse(s). Well, I tried the round yard with a 22Mag, she got a bit flighty, but after about 10 shots, she settled down. Next day, she saw the rifle and kind of backed away, but she trusts me, so didn't go too far, (half an apple helped) and seemed as though she was more curious than scared. Fired shot, flinched a bit, but not as much as i expected. We'll do this nice and slow, and I'll keep you all posted. Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the investment I have in animals, gear, vehicles and such I would be crazy to only use them during hunting season.

The kids are involved in 4-H, the wife enjoys her arena stuff (drives me crazy) and I pretty much stick to riding the wilderness and local trails. Bottom line is that we've got a hobby that the whole family has an interest in and it's something we can all do together.

My main reason for having the eating machines is for hunting season and I wouldn't hunt any other way. Everthing else is a bonus. [Big Grin]

Posts: 174 | Location: N.E. Oregon | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have my rifle range in the same pasture where I keep my horses. When I first started shooting there, it made them nervous, and they'd run to the barn. But now I have to shoo them out from between my benchrest and the target in order to shoot!!

The cowboy action shooters seem to be able to train their horses so they can shoot off of them, but I'd be afraid of damaging their sensitive hearing!! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
A good hunting horse is tough to the core, will ground tie, and not bothered by a shot, has a good reign and a good disposition..He will pack me home with a deer in my lap......

All this is a simple matter of training and its not difficult to get a horse to this point..Getting one tough enough these days may be a problem as so many are pen raised and worthless....

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta agree with Ray. All of our horses up north were bred and born on the open range. They have never been in a barn and wouldn't know what an apple was. They will eat pine cones and the occasional rabbit. [Wink]

They are only grained when working and are turned out every winter to fend for themselves in the hay meadows. They have spirit and courage and will never quit. A couple of them will let a 5 year old ride them anywhere and at the same time try to kill a cowboy. They know what sport is. [Razz]

They can tell the difference between a rider and a tourist and adjust their 'attitude' accordingly. They will stand ground tied while a bloody deer or bear is hoisted across the saddle and not shy away from any surprise.

My favorite horse, a mare named Butch, will let me use her reins as a point of tension when shooting. She knows what's up and will even hold her breath. She'll mark a dead animal and go directly to it through the bush like a retreiver. She's a bit spunky in the early morning and can be a handful until warm but a better mountain horse was never born.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote