Find
Notify
Tools

Summer Pack Trips
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted
Anybody have a trip planned yet? My wife and I are going to the Rawah's the 3rd week of June. Alot of trails still are drifted in but you can get around the area if you know your way. Good fishing, slim crowds. Love to have some company if anybody wants to come along!

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have our annual June trip planned for the Thorofare of Wyoming. It is a 30 mile trip in (all in one day) and then we camp and fish for the spawning cutthroats coming out of Yellowstone Lake. The bogs along the way always make it interesting. We usually take a few rides during the 5-6 day stay and see Grizzlies. Unfortunately the ride out feels like 50 miles.

Best of luck on your trip, sounds like a great time. Where are the Rawah's??

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
The RAwah Wilderness is north of Cameron Pass on the east side of the divide. 53 miles northwest of Fort Collins, 60 miles south of Laramie. Lots of nice little cuthroat there also, you can scoop them up with your bare hands!

JOIN SCI!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great place for a ride and camp. How far are you riding in? I have a couple younger boys and I would like to take them on an out-of-state adventure in the next couple years, but the Thorofare is too far for them to ride. Also, Do hunt/see mulies in there?

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Souds like a great trip MC, take pictures.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
Like alot of Colorado wilderness, it is not a large area (by Wy. standards). The longest trail loop is right around 25 miles. I have Elk hunted in the Rawahs several times and also hunt blue grouse in september. The deer population is horrible. However, Moose is thriving, several big bulls.
The fishing is outstanding.

JOIN SCI!

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Who needs waders? This is a poor photo, scanned off a 35mm photo. Hard to tell, but I am fishing in a deep hole on the Thorofare River, just North of Hawks Rest. It is a great time catching fish off the back of your horse.

Vemo- that sounds like an incredible place to see. That is why I ride and hunt, to see different places. My Colorado deer hunting area took a heavy toll on winter kill last year. So I am looking for a new place to try until it rebounds in 2 or 3 years. Thanks for the post, it made me excited for the summer trips.