Find
Notify
Tools

Branding round up
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Paying for my hunting and shooting privleges.
We got a late start this year due to the weather.
Running the gate to sort the calves from the cows and bulls

I'm notching ears on the back calf

Watching the young guys throw calves

Calves on the ground

Working the Cows and Bulls in the chutes.

Gate duty on the chute

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fall calving?

Dont know about your country but its sure getting hard to find help to drag calves-highschool boys dont want to flank anymore.

Whats your brand? always interested in brands, some have lots of history.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Here in California we calve in Nov and Dec when the rains come and the grass starts.

This is a buddy of mine's ranch his brand is A-> (A with an arrow) on the left rib.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, those boys wear chinks, but don't wear high tops over their britches...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Fall calving?

Dont know about your country but its sure getting hard to find help to drag calves-highschool boys dont want to flank anymore.

Whats your brand? always interested in brands, some have lots of history.

SSR

That post brings back a lot of good memories.I was the highschool kid on the ground crew.
Never thought I'd miss getting kicked,Having a calf slam his head down driving a horn bud into the arch of your foot or getting a tail in the face full of $#@&. I'm still friends with many of the cowboys and ranchers I worked with,sadly, many have passed on .I still carry many of the lessons learned during my time on
the ground crew. Good times for sure.
The word Burdizzo still makes me pull up tight!

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Here in California we calve in Nov and Dec when the rains come and the grass starts.

This is a buddy of mine's ranch his brand us A-> (A with an arrow) on the left rib.

Ah, that explains it. Big Grin I was marveling at the size of those calves. Around here, most people Spring calve and the buggers are a lot smaller, when they get the big operation. A lot easier on them, as well.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
We were about three weeks later than normal for this because it was raining or the Superbowl was on. Some of the cows calved early in November and some calved as late as the first part of January so we had quite a variety of sizes.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are some of the cleanest, best-dressed cowboys I've ever seen. Almost looks like a fashion show!

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool California clean--they stylin, man Cool

Looks like good times to me.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R. Walter:
Those are some of the cleanest, best-dressed cowboys I've ever seen. Almost looks like a fashion show!

If it's like any Branding around here, you invite all your town buddies and they show up in their finest. Not too many actually get down and dirty.Big Grin Afterwards there's a good feed of prairie oysters.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 28 February 2011 05:10 Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by R. Walter:

If it's like any Branding around here, you invite all your town buddies and they show up in their finest. Not too many actually get down and dirty.Big Grin Afterwards there's a good feed of prairie oysters.

Grizz

Tri tip,beans,garlic bread , menudo, oysters and deep fried northern cattle grubs!!! and a few beers

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Great stuff. Its been 20 years since Tonk and I worked cattle. Sigh

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CrossL:
Just for you pard.
Our brand "used to be", til Dad passed away and I didn't get into cattle as he hoped.

G reverse L with bar underneath.
On the R hip.
G reverse L, bar.

My initials really.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5945 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, that is some kind of ranch country you have there, absolutly a cowmans dream..

what a place to raise some good colts also..those low rolling grassy green hills give colts just the right amount of exercise and mama will give good milk, and easy to creep feed...maybe I just ruined a good cow operation! holycow

The ranches out here, and we,re close to Nevada are huge and run up to 6000 head of mother cows and brandings will go on for several months. We run the pairs up in a fence corner and heel the calves and drag them out and the crew works them..Lots of fun and a good place to get you young horse wore out and thinking. My grandson works a lot on these ranches and gets paid unbelievably good money and rides outside colts and gets paid for that also, then he picks up some big money at ropings and pretty well pays for his college education along with his rodeo scollerships...The cowboy way of life ain't dead yet! clap

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aoudadhunter
posted Hide Post
I sure don't miss being on the ground crew!!!!! Looks like y'all have a plenty of hands! Then again you don't have a big fan club staying mounted all day. We find it's better to find novice wannabes for the ground crew they just wanna be part of the action until the next year then you gotta find new ones lol

Bar B Diamond Outfitters
Specializing in Free Range Aoudad Sheep hunts.
Also offering all Texas native game and many exotics.

Posts: 131 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aoudadhunter
posted Hide Post

Bar B Diamond Outfitters
Specializing in Free Range Aoudad Sheep hunts.
Also offering all Texas native game and many exotics.

Posts: 131 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Audadhunter,
Looks like my home country, the Big Bend country perhaps or close.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote