Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double-vision Login/Join

<worth>
posted
I am experiencing one of the less destructive forms of middle-aged craziness, the longing for a double rifle. However, rather than pursuing my usual investment strategy of buying something that rapidly depreciates, I would like advice for the best approach to avoid being the pidgeon in such a purchase.
To that end, I have the following questions:
1. what will appreciate faster-a new gun (like a Merkel or Searcy) or an older gun made by one of the English makers such as Holland, Westley-Richards or Lang;
2. is an older gun which has been refurbished something to avoid and is there anything to look for that indicates a refurbish was botched;
3. are there any calibers (40 cal. & above)to avoid;
4. is there a source, either on the web or in print, which gives a reliable estimate of the value of older doubles;
5. which dealers that are known to be especially reliable and honest;
6. without intending to start a firestorm and presuming the writer does not have the resources of Bill Gates, what double-rifle would you be ecstatic to find for sale tomorrow; and
7. what questions should I be asking that I that I have not thought of?
Thanks for your thoughts.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Worth, I'm no expert on the market, but I do know some things about collecting, and tradeing of double rifles. If you will keep my amateur status in mind, I will try to answer some of your questions.

You ask about new vrs old double rifles, and I will just say there are new rifles, and then there are other new rifles. Of the two you mention, the Searcy will appreciate faster, and to a higher price than the Merkel, IMO. The Searcys' are fast becomeing the choice of PHs who buy New double rifles. Once a lot of hunters find out how good the Searcys really are, this rifle will take wings, again, IMO. If this continues, the value of used Searcy doubles will hold there own, and appreciate when the rifles are wanted by clients who are in a hurry to get one. Right now the Merkel actually looses some value on the re-sale, but that will change as well. It will just take longer than the Searcy. On the new rifle market a new Searcy is a sleeper, and a real bargin.

A referbished double rifle is nothing to worry about as long as it is done properly. IMO, a real selling point is a rifle that has been referbished to "as new" by the maker. There are many things to look for, and some are more important than others. one thing that some people do is, pean the surfaces of the hook, and pin to make the rifle seem tight, but this does not last, and is an unethical practice. A restocked double rifle is something that is, if done properly, OK, but if not, can really effect value. Thankfully this is easy to spot, and if it is done right, the overall quality of the work will be evident. It does effect the value, however.

Right here let me say any rifle chambered for 470 NE is automatically worth $1000 more than another rifle of the same make, and quality. This is not to say that the 470 NE is any better than the others in the same class, but that it is the most popular right now, and you will pay a premium. The standards are OK because of their ammo availability, like the 450 NE 3 1/4", 500/450, 500/465 are all good chamberings for a DGR, and are cheaper than the same rifle in 470 NE. The one thing you need do here is make sure the rifle is NITRO PROOFED, because some of these were offered in balck powder, and then NITRO FOR BALCK, and "EXPRESS TRAIN" models that were regulated with light bullets. NEVER buy a rifle for an OBSOLETE cartridge, unless you know, absolutely, that componants are available.
One real sleeper is a quality rifle chambered for 450/400 NE 3", but folks are getting wise fast. The 3" version was never offered in a black powder version, but the 3 1/4" version was, and some of the rifles are not NITRO PROOFED, in this length. Any "GOOD" dealer will make you aware of the proofing.

The prices on any of the better dealer websites will reflect the going prices at any given time. With Name rifles they will appreciate even when bout at today's prices.

www.champlinarms.com

www.hallowellco.com

www.doubleguns.com

www.searcyent.com

www.gunsamerica.com

www.capeoutfitters.com

The above are a few of the daelers who have double rifles in stock most of the time, both new and used.

I would dearly love to find a 450 NE 3 1/4" Westley Richards best grade double rifle in the maker's oak and leather case, with all the tools, and factory snap caps

A couple books you might think about aquireing are: Alaxander Gray's book
"THE HAMMERLESS DOUBLE RIFLE" mostly H&H rifles but this book has some very valuable information in it. Another one is Graeme Wrights books, #1, and #2 "SHOOTING THE BRITISH DOUBLE RIFLE" . There is quite a bit of good info in Boddingtons SAFARI RIFLES, as well.

I hope any of this helps, and you can bet that on this forum there will be plenty more folks who will tell you some of the things I forgot!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't add much to Macs post...He about said it all and he and I have been in accord for several years on such things as double rifles, along with Rusty...

the English rifles, especially in high grade, are one of the great investments of all time, but like land you cannot cash them in over night

the standard grade guns in good condition with a good maker will just about double in value every three to five years, and often much less..Thats not a bad return on any money.

Properly refinished guns maintain their value as well as original guns...I know of no other gun that this applies to...All others de-valueate with refinishing....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<worth>
posted
Gentlemen,
I appreciate your help.
Worth