Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375-338 Lapua Login/Join

<KilgoreT>
posted
Has anyone experienced this spinoff yet? I'm looking into the Barrett 98, Dakota T-76 Longbow, and SAKO TRG-41. I'm new to big bores but like the concept. Wby. and Rem. ltra Mag. do not turn me on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Would be virtually a beltless 378 wby.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<KilgoreT>
posted
375 Wby to 378 Wby is my guide. 300 gr. @ 3,000 f/s is my "estimate" without being able to measure pressure. I'd like to keep bench experimentation to a minimum so if anyone has already been there I'd appreciate their wisdom. I'll have bought Lapua brass in bulk and have a bias toward the beltless case.

<R. A. Berry>
posted
KilgoreT,
That is the highest quality brass around. Strongest and most uniform. It should make a more accurate and better feeding .375 wildcat than any other in existence. I toyed with the idea on this site once and suggested the name "375 RIP" to designate its effectiveness as a killer and to denote Rigby ImProved. The 338 Lapua is after all based on the external dimensions of the 416 Rigby, shortened, necked down and more heavily constructed. Good idea!

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kilgore, all one needs is a reamer and a set of loading dies. I have a 416 Lapua round sitting on the loading bench, it will feed out of a Classic M70 action. Pretty easy conversion, especially if one uses a large action like the CZ550.

[This message has been edited by John Ricks (edited 06-24-2001).]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<AKI>
posted
Kilgore. A scilled and motivated riflesmith can ream the chamber if he has a 338LapuaMag and a 375H&H reamer with perfect result. The body is cut with the Lapua and the neck and throat with the H&H. I just tested the method on a smaller wildcat and can say that noone could tell the difference from using a complete reamer for the job.

The Lapua has been catted in Finland to many versions, 458 beeing the most famous. 375 is "in between" here and I have not heard of it. The swedes have a 9,3mm-LapuaMag that should be pretty close as it is .366. AKI

<KilgoreT>
posted
Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Hello KilgoreT
You asked:"That is the highest quality 338 Lapua brass around. Strongest and most uniform"?.
I have some experiense in using both Lapua and Norma brass, and im very satified with both. Spesially the Norma brass is very uniform.

------------------
Arild S

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DOC>
posted

The swedes have a 9,3mm-LapuaMag that should be pretty close as it is .366.

AKI,
Do you have any reliable performance data on this cartridge, or know someone I can get more information from?

DOC

<KilgoreT>
posted
Doc,
No firm .375-338 Lapua reloading data to date. I'm also researching .510-.50-90 and 495 A-Square. Real life keeps messin' with this. I am also Unimog shopping for the "camper" to truck my gear to Alaska and back to Texas, many times.
I'll get a few more esoteric wildcat books and interpolate a sound starting point based on comparable water volume and chronograph until I'm happy, or surgery.
Lapua brass feels relatively soft so I assume pressure signs will start with primer pocket pooches. I miss experimental range time.

-

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

The 338 Lapua case has the same capacity as our 375/404.

So I would assume any wildcat based on the 338 will have very similar performance to the 375 Remington Ultra, or at least the same as our own wildcat based on the 404 case.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Saeed,
So true. I guess I stopped pursuing the 375 Lapua idea when I realized the 375 Saeed and 375 RUM were so similar in capacity to the 375 Lapua, hence the 375 RIP: Rest In Peace.

The only thing the 375 Lapua might have going for it is the quality of the brass, but that would become a moot point if one used RWS brass to form the 375 Saeed. I am told that the RWS brass is of the highest quality also. I am leary of the uniformity of Remington Ultra Mag brass.

So this begs the question: Is there any difference in quality between Lapua, Norma, RWS, and RUM brass in general?

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

Administrator
posted Hide Post
RAB,

I try to avoid using Remington brass if I can. Federal and Winchester are definitely better in quality, and the European made are better still. Although much more expensive.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<AKI>
posted
DOC. The ume� swedes on this forum, Stefan or Mats might know something about it. I recall they have told that there is someone openminded in their neighbourhood that has designed a few cats and one is a 9,3mm- Lapua Mag. It would make a very powerful round indeed. The Lapua brass is very heavy (320-330 gr), perhaps the reason for it�s "small" volume, but the heavy cases with abundant Rigby stile body taper makes a case that will extract even after excessive pressure levels. AKI

<KilgoreT>
posted
Aki,
You mentioned the exact reason for my interest in a .375 Lapua: very strong, highest quality brass which should extract without problems even with hot loading. As I also have a near fetish for SAKO actions, my decision is nearly by default.
One day soon this bachelor will get over for a visit at the SAKO factory and take time to meet a few of your ladies I have heard so much about over here.