THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    On the Ashley rear aperature sight....

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the Ashley rear aperature sight.... Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,

I have used the AO front post and really like the sight. I have not, however, had the opportunity to examine the AO rear aperature sight in person.

Most of my experience has been with the Williams, NECG, and Lyman offerings.

Would those of you who have used the AO peep please advise me of what you like about it and what you do not care for.

The rifle concerned is a Ruger #1 that is being converted to .500 NE. Primary use will be North American big game and recreational shooting.

I have always liked the Williams FP but the AO appears more durable as well as aesthetically pleasing for the classic appearance I desire.

My concerns are regarding its adjustability.

Your wisdom would be appreciated.

Regards,

------------------
~Holmes

"Those who appease a tiger do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last."
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
I have an Ashley Ghost ring sight set installed on my Marlin 1894P.

I am very happy with it, the fit finish and quality all seem to be of the highest quality.

The gun is equipped with the largest aperature avaialable, it is a bit on the big side for most shooters but I like it a lot.

The aperature is attached via a threaded base, to adjust height you simply 'unscrew' the rear sight. For windage you adust opposing screws similar to and FAL or the rear base of a set of trun in scope mounts.

Insatlled correctly there seems to be enought range of adustability. While the system isn't as easy to adjust as an M16's rear sight, once adjusted you are all set.

When you purchase a new set of sights from ashley they normally privide you with a plastic front sight post that is serrated at different intervals, the idea is to install the plaistic front sight and shoot the gun atthe range.

You cut off small sections of the plastic until you are about where you want to be, then send the plastic post back to ashley, they in turn send you a post that is the height you need.

The addition of the Ashley sight system makes for a very fast and accurate rifle, I recommend them.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 07-27-2001).]

<10point>
posted
I have the Ghost ring set on my guide gun, I like it a lot. Mind you I havnt shot thru a peep sight since my Military service and the M16, which I carried daily.

This Ashley system is much faster then the M16 was. The big peep just seem's to FIND its target on its own, at least with a fast swinging levergun.

With that said I will say Im switching to the smaller peep, which will allow me to use the range of the .450 Marlin more. The big peep is for a DG rifle, or maybe a heavy,heavy wood's gun. Its a big wonderful peep but Im going to beuseing the Marlin for plains game and hogs and I want the range even more then the speed.

Both size peep's are included with the pkge. Its really kind of refreshing to re-discover what can be accomplished with open sight's again......good shooting........10

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Holmes:
Hi Holmes,
I have the Ashley rear peep on two of my rifles and would highly recomend them. One is on my 45-70 and the other is on my 470 Mbogo DGR. I changed from the ghost ring peep to the heavier ringed peep on both sights. I found the accuracy was better with the heavier ring and it is still very fast. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Fat Bastard>
posted
As stated, you screw the aperture stem up and down to adjust elevation. It's kind of coarse - one-half turn (the minimum increment) is approximately 1 MOA assuming, I think, a 30" sight radius.

Windage adjustment can be as fine as you want it, since it's done with the opposing screws.

It's not quick-adjustable like on an M1/M1A or similar; it takes a small screwdriver.

It's available with .150", .191" and .250" aperture diameters. The outside diameter of the smaller two is the same, so the ring is thicker with the .150".

My only gripe is that it's too high on certain guns. You'd just have to try it on yours. BTW, I think AO makes one that fits the scope base on the Ruger, so you could have it on and off in seconds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the input, gentlemen.

I believe I shall try the AO system on this #1 and see how they go for me.

The sight radius with the new barrel should be around 26".

Bill; I have a bag of those AO front sight test posts; great invention as I usually change or add sights to most of my rifles. Takes the pain right of height determination.

Speed of adjustment should not be an issue for me in most circumstances.

When the rifle is completed, I shall post my experience with the AO rear peep.

Fat Bastard; the AO web site illustrates a #1 with the sight mounted upon the quarter rib as you mentioned. It appears rather tall but that is hard to tell from web pictures. We shall see!

470 Mbogo; a friend of mine has been in a quandry regarding his first big bore rifle. He was contemplating a .460 Guns & Ammo as it was something a bit different. I sent him the link to your web site and I believe he has fallen in lust with your wildcat!

Thanks again all.

Regards,

------------------
~Holmes

"Those who appease a tiger do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last."
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Holmes:
Hi Holmes,
If you buddy is interested in a large bore wildcat he won't be dissapointed with the 470 Mbogo. Have him send me an e-mail if he requires any information. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote