Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338-378 Weatherby Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Once again this one has come home to haunt me, first it was ammo and now this. The client claimed he could load rounds into the mag box from the top,Like any normal bolt rifle. When it was in the shop I could not get the rounds to fit over the mag box lips to load. I opened up the floorplate and loaded three into the mag box and then closed the floorplate and they would feed as normal (I used dummy rounds). He insists he always loaded from the top and never from the bottom..

It does seem kinda funny to load from the bottom so I had to believe him but still doubted him

DOes anyone have a Mark five in this caliber that can lead me to an owner's manual for correct loading instructions?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I have one (and a 416 among others) and have absolutely no trouble loading the magazine from the top.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, now to find a fix

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I can take a photo from above with the action open if you think that would be helpful

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything looks fine from aboove, it's just that the cartridges won't fit cown into the mag box. I heard from one guy that the feed rails need to be tweaked, but how much?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
No Jim,

the big weatherbys (anything based on 378 case) are single stacked in the magazine and are made to load from the bottom. Put one in chamber and roll rifle over open floor plate and drop two more in and close the floor plate. Unless you have the extended floor plate then drop three in.

Regards,
Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Both Shultz and Larsen rifles in calibre 7x61 S&H I owned and hunted with for decades had to be loaded from the bottom. If the magazine was charged from the top the bolt would not pick up the first round from the magazine even despite pushing the rounds up and down and seemingly everything sitting correctly.
Dropping the three magnum rounds in from the bottom could be done in any sequence as the floor plate had a centered rib so top round could sit left or right.

Loaded up the S&L rifle exactly how Mark describes it above.

Posts: 3859 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
If you download the Weatherby owners manual it says only this for loading all Mark V rifles regardless of cartridge it’s chambered for;

quote:
TO LOAD THE MAGAZINE
Keep the muzzle of the rifle pointed in a safe direction, and your fingers out of the trigger guard and away from the trigger at all times.
1. Move the manual safety lever to the “OFF SAFE” position (refer to Manual Safety Operation, page 9).
2. Open the bolt by lifting the bolt handle until it stops. Pull the bolt to the rear until it stops. Visually check to make sure no cartridge is in the chamber.
3. Insert desired number of cartridges of the proper caliber (refer to Ammunition, page 9) into the magazine by pressing them individually into the top of the magazine box. The cartridges must be loaded with the bullets pointed toward the barrel.
4. Use your thumb or fingers to press the top cartridge down as you push the bolt forward so the bolt does not strip the cartridge from the magazine and load it into the chamber.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 378 (same case as 338-378) is very difficult to load from the top. Unlike a staggered Mauser magazine there's no "V" shape to press the rounds into.

I believe the 378 cased rifles will hold 3 in the magazine but you will not be able to press them down and close the bolt, so they do really hold 2.

Very poor design for a dangerous game rifle.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I should have elaborated a bit in my reply re loading my Schultz and Larsen rifles from the bottom; I found the bottom load method was not at all an issue, just something you got used to.
As the S&L rifles were push feed you could quickly just drop extra rounds in from the top if the magazine was emptied and you were needing to fire more rounds. Had to do this on several occasions when tackling mobs of feral goats and twice on taking out mobs of deer. I never felt any disadvantage in loading from the bottom.

Posts: 3859 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote