THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Any Experience with Hammer Copper bullets?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Experience with Hammer Copper bullets? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just heard about them via Weatherby. They are a copper alloy designed to perform at 1800 fps and above. Apparently the petals in the hollow point break off upon impact and the bold expands. I may load some for Africa next year if reports are good.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2144 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just started using them in my 35 Whelen. I had the 200 grain power hammers loaded. Just returned from Zim where I used them. I took a baboon, hyena and a zebra stallion. They were all one shot kills with the zebra testing the bullet. He was shot facing me at about 150 yards. The bullet entered center of the chest and he took 3-5 steps and was down stone dead when I walked up.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MLindsay, Thanks for posting your experience with the Hammer bullets. (And thanks to Vol717 for bringing the topic up.)

I am very interested in how the bullet worked in the Zebra. Sounds like perfect performance.

If you got a chance to evaluate the internal bullet damage/performance I am very interested.

How far/straight did the bullet core go in the Zebra after the blades/pieces broke off?

Did all the pieces break off?

What did the broken off pieces do?

How far did the bullet penetrate before the pieces/blades broke off?

It sound like excellent performance. I am very curious because I usually use a similar bullet, the CEB Raptor, But they area bit hard to get here in Canada.

Thanks for your time, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Brian, I have no info on autopsy. We were in a hurry to set up baits for hyena and it was quickly in a tree. I know it did not exit and it was an instantaneous kill

Posts: 1852 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took an elk the other day w a .375 281gr Hammer Hunter--125 yard running shot through the lunhs and liver, it was devastating to the organs, full pass through.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
for plains game on the last to hunts I used a 30.06 and 150 Gr Power Hammers at 2850 fps on Gemsbuck, Kudu, Sable, Zebra, 2 Warthogs, Blesbuck, Impala, Red Hartebeest, Jackal the shots ranged from 125 yards to the longest which was on the Zebra at about 320 yards. the these were all one shot kills and only 2 bullets were recovered one on the Gemsbuck and it travel thru the chest to the rear hip and was found under the hide. the other was on the Zebra after going through both shoulders and was found under the hide. all bullets had the front pedals broke off into 4 sections and became shrapnel tearing up vital organs and the shank continued on. the other animal was a big Cape Buffalo using the 404 grain Shock Hammer Bullet .458 Win Mag traveling at 2460 fps at 25 yards. the shot use into the left front shoulder and traveled through the heart and exited. the pedals also all broke off and tore up tissue the way they were designed to do.an insurance shot was put between the shoulders at 10 feet and exited also. I would suggest you call Steve the owner of Hammer bullets at 406-261-5102 he will answer and is the owner of the company and on my first trip to Limpopo with them they took I believe it was around 20 animals all with great results from Cape Buffalo and Giraffe down to Impala all with great results and they just got back from Australia and took a ton of animals. their bullets are always in stock and if you do not like how one shoots they will refund your money or replace them with something else. I do not work for them but am totally impressed with their product. I am thinking about Elephant in 2025 with the 404 gr Hammer bullet in .458 same one I took the Buffalo with. sorry for the long post just want you to get the idea these are good bullets

Posts: 197 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hydehunter. Those hammer bullets as you and other describe their terminal performance are just like CEB Raptors, excellent! I have talked to the Hammer people and they are very bright/knowledgeable and helpful. Sounds like they have good service. It doesn't get any better than that.

Also, I appreciate your "long" post.

Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mlindsay, That is just fine. I appreciate your post and good news about Hammer bullets. I am happy that we have an option to CEB. Brian

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
So far I have found that the availability of Hammer bullets is no better than the CEB up here in Canada. I know a couple of stores selling Hammer's, but they have a limited number of weights in each calibre in stock. As usual, they have not had what I want in stock. Last time I checked Hammer was not able to sell and ship directly to Canadian hunters.

Maybe that has changed recently, but I do not know.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skyline, That's right. So far no good Hammer dealer in Canada. And USA dealers still can't export bullets to Canada. (US law.) It' OK for Canadians to import billets and the components.(Canadian law.)

I know that Steve at Hammer is trying to find stocking dealers in Canada but it's not going so well, so far.

Can you tell me who the "couple of stores" are in Canada that stock some Hammer bullets? I will give them a call and see if I can buy some Hammer bullets and encourage them to stock more Hammer bullets. Thanks, Brian

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Brian....the two I know of are Corlane's, here in BC, and George's Shooting Shack in Ontario. Hopefully you will have better luck than I did. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skyline, Thanks. Knowing Corlane's and I am not holding my breath. (chuckle)
I get my CEB Raptor bullets from Hirsch Precision in Lake Echo, NB. I think his name is Alex. Very good to deal with. The thing is, he has limited stock too, so it's best to place an order and then wait a month or so for him to put a big order together. That way the prices are not too bad. https://www.hirschprecision.co...main_page=contact_us

PS. I hope that I haven't hijacked this good topic! Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skyline, I think that Georges Shooting Shack can get CEB bullets too.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brian.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Mozambique where I took over 10 animals, including two cape buffalo, using 281gr Hammer Hunters doing 3010fps in a 375 RUM AI. The results were fantastic, in most cases with the small and medium antelopes there was full penetration, but it appeared that the pedals did substantial damage upon entry, and the rear end existed. The only shots I had on both cape buffalo were head on a couple inches under the chin, which immediately dumped the buffalo. Damage and penetration was substantial. I also have shot an elk in the boiler room, blowing put the lungs and the rear of the bullets exited.

Potent bullet and load.