Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 Jeffery range report Login/Join

one of us
posted
Went to the range today, Wind 30-35 MPH the temp was in the high 30's. All of the loads I shot in the summer are going 50-75 f/s slower at this temp. I thought Varget was an extreme powder! The group size was much bigger by 50%. Some of that may have been due to watering eyes and very cold hands. The rifle is shooting 2" low and about 2"left. I still need to do some more load development. The good news is I shot 25 rounds and my right shoulder is doing just fine. I did use a pussy pad. But I was shooting in just a sweat shirt. The Chronograph was messing up again so the data was very inconsistant.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leonard, glad you are going strong.

Varget Extreme will probably have a velocity change of about 0.5 fps for each degree F change.

Since you are comparing data that is about 70 degrees F difference, that is not too far out of line. Do I recall some 107 degree F temperatures?

It depends on the cartridge too, but it could have been worse:

In my experience this approximation works pretty well:

H4350 and Varget Extreme: 0.5 fps/degree F
RL-15: 1.0 fps/degree F
IMR-4350: 2.0 fps/degree F

You said your chrono data was suspect too, and I have noted that chrono's can be unreliable due to near freezing temperatures alone.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So there is no use working up the tropical load for this rifle until later. Also the rifle will be going to Tanzania this August and need it to be spot on for that trip. I also have the double rifle that with two different calibers to sort out before then. Too much to do, too little time. RIP, will you be going to Dallas?? Sue and I would like to get together for dinner if we can.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LB,
My wife and I made a quick trip down to Dallas last year, but this year the family has something else planned that I have to go along with. Catch y'all later hopefully. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look forward to seeing you in the spring.

square shooter

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Leonard,
At the ranges you'll be shooting with that 500 you'll be spot on!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure hope so. That beast wants to kill at both ends!

square shooter

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
What was your point of impact on the warm days?
Timan

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Timan,
Until Leonard gets back, I can show you a group I shot with his rifle in 107 degree F OK summer heat, humidity was not too bad except in my shirt Wink

This was initial load development and sight checking. I think he has made progress in getting the sights and load adjusted since then, but this sure speaks of an accurate rifle, since I put three shots into one hole at 50 yards with the small gold bead. The big moon bead spreads things a bit, and lowered the POI as I was using a fine bead hold at top center of bead.

A combat hold on the center of the bead would also raise the POI.

A lower velocity would increase barrel time and raise the POI with recoil, just like with a double rifle, but without the complication of twin tube crossing and lateral recoil movement.

And I was shooting from the bench and may have been holding the rifle down too firmly to be comparable to an offhand shot as from a standing rest, and so on and so on ...

Leonard will be the final authority on the current POI versus POA with the final load, and I am sure it will be from the sticks/standing rest/offhand, since he is going after DG with this rifle, which is a very accurate one. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LB glad your sholder is doing better thumb
Maybe we can get out to the range soon and shoot some! I have a load worked out for my 375 rum with tsx now need to move to the banded solids.
Im in FL now and I give ya a shout when I get back.

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
How much closer to center wiil the lower velocity ammo hit?
Stuart

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am doing a center hold and the groups, all four of them were two inches low and two to three inches left. It needs to come up at least 4-5" and over 2-3". This is a lower velocity round with 5 grains of filler. I get much better consistancy with the filler and more fps per grain with the dacron also.

square shooter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Leonard,
You need a slightly lesser height to center of front bead, and the rear sight drifted to the right, eh? What is the sight radius on your rifle?

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Yea, what rip said.
Timan