THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Looking for Input on my 375 Taylor(375/338) Project

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Input on my 375 Taylor(375/338) Project Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm getting ready to start my 375 Taylor project. I have a Manchester, England stamped Mark X action(originally a 270 Win.) That I am going to use. What work would you have done to this action if it was your project? I know the bolt face needs to be opened up and some rail work may need to be done, but what else should I do? The barrel is a McGowan already chambered and threaded for a large ring Mauser 98. Will this barrel screw right into the action? All suggestions are appreciated.

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Craig,

Sounds okay to me.

Have you tried loading some 338 rounds, or just brass into the magazine? Naturally it won't chamber! But it may give you an idea about any future feeding problems.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
My dad built a .375 chapfeild-taylor back in the early eightie with a laminated stock and the exact same action you are planning to use. It finished out at 8.5lbs with a leapould 1.5-5 scope. I started shooting that rifle when I was 12 and that is what got me into big bores. It was a very sweet rifle and as far as I can remember it never had any feeding problems. I remember we used 4064 for the best results but there are many other powders that will work fine. We got 270 noslers moving about 2750fps using winchester 338 brass. I hope you have fun with. It makes a heck of a fine elk and bear rifle without much recoil.

-Catter

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built a couple of dozen of them back when...Open the bolt face, cut rails to 338 specs, but test feeding first as many times no rail work is needed...your barrel is a standard Mauser barrel and will fit the Mk-10 action...re=chamber and headspace and your on your way...IMR4064 is the powder as stated above...It will do better with 250,260 and 270 gr. bullets...the 300's crowd the powder space as with most short magnums..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote