New
Find
Notify
Tools

577 T- Rex Ruger #1 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted
Will the barrel have enough meat left after threading? I have a friend that has a #1 in 470NE and is thinking about the T-Rex.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
If not how about the 577NE?

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 577 NE works fine,JD Jones makes them all the time.I doubt if the 577 T-Rex will work as it's too big around to fit in the action.The only other two cartridges I can think of that can't be made on a Ruger #1 action are the 600 NE and 50 BMG,simply because they won't fit in the action.

If you can fit it into a #1 action,it will handel it with aplumb.When testing the #1 action for strength,Bill Ruger took a #1 in 7mm Remington Magnum off the production line.He loaded up a case to the brim with Unique pistol powder (for you non-handloaders out there,that's the firearm equivelent of the A-Bomb),and somehow managed to squeeze a 175 grain bullet on top.He then slid it into the chamber and fired it.

What happened?The head of the case melted.THAT'S IT!The gun was still in perfectly fine condition.Really says something for their strength,consider some idiot here in town loaded a Remington 700 in 30-06 with 60 grains of Unique and touched it off.Peeled the barrel back just like a bannana.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<bearmanmt>
posted
Hey Wally,
Check out Dennis' new project. A .500 Nitro Express on a Ruger #1. Could also do a .577 most anything. Remember the #1 has a 1" barrel shank and the real big stuff gets it in the .200" or less wall thickness.
Better stick with the .450 G&A Short. The monster you are talking about has 2x the recoil of my .416 Rigby.
The Bearman ,

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I KNOW that the 500 Jeffry will work.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Bill, I was inquiring for Scott T. not me.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I agree that the 577 T-rex is too big, as far as the 577 NE, that is open to debate, several smiths won't chamber it due to the amount of metal or lack there of, then again, a few will. I would venture to bet the gunsmiths that refuse to chamber it have a better understanding of the forces at work, have done some engineering analysis, and don't get a warm fuzzy with the factor of safety they are left with.

I agree that 50 caliber and under is prudent in the #1, I'd love one in a 577 NE, but not enough to be limited to 1800 fps loads, or be marginal with full patch loads. I guess I'll just have to build a 585 Nyati bolt gun

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys, I'll let him know.