Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mods to CZ550 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Weeks after I started the search for a .416 Rigby here came to conclusion only short term way forward was CZ550. It's a new one so I hope the safety works in the direction I expect! I am putting it in a MacMillan fibreglass stock and expect to put Talley or Warne QD(availability here is the driver) rings and a S&B Flashdot on it. I know others will disagree, but it's a good combo on my .375.
Question is: what mods should I try to have done either by gunsmith or by ordering aftermarket parts? Please remember Hampshire is not in US and availability of parts/gunsmiths can be a real issue. I don't expect to glass bed as if I have to shoot buff at the sort of range bedding becomes vital I don't think I will be on speaking terms with PH. Thoughts from those with experience would be most helpful. Anything too time consuming not so useful now as rifle arrives Friday and I depart October. Trying to get anything done here Aug/Sept not so easy, but local gunsmith has been rebuilding a 20 bore since February for me.
Regards
Robert

Posts: 94 | Location: Hampshire, UK | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby for several years now. It is in a McMillan stock. I did full length bed it, and do recommend that. If you look at the size of the hole in the barrel you can see that the barrel walls aren't terrribly thick. The bedding surely helps accuracy and integrity.
Either the Talley or Warne rings will do a fine job. Don't use the ones with the cute little levers, they get caught on stuff. The trigger is fine as is.
That McMillan stock is good with scopes. You may have to scrunch your head down hard on the stock to use the irons.
The safety will work fine, and in the proper direction.
I don't care for the factory bolt handle, but that is merely individual preference.
Really, just have it well bedded, and go hunting. You're good to go as is.
I use a Leupold 1.5x5 scope on mine with a fixed 2.5 backup. For the eye relief mainly.
Have fun,
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would certainly bed the action to keep it where it should be and not have to deal with any changes in impact...

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your safety will work fine, I have a .416 in a custom composie and I use warne fixed mounts on it with a leupold 2.5x compact...there a great deal for sure !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
I hav an action, I think I'll change the trigger mech with a timneys, and that's pretty much it.

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote