Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

which scopes to consider Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking of putting a scope on my CZ 458 Lott. Which scopes are able to stand up to the recoil that I should be looking at ? I want low power.

Posts: 122 | Location: Villa Rica, GA. | Registered: 27 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a Leupold VX3 1.5X5 is a classic and plenty tough. They run 400 so if you wnt to save 100 go with a VX2 1X4...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will the VX2 stand up to to the recoil ? How about the various scopes that are made for shotguns ? I assume they have o be able to handle heavy recoil. I'm just trying to determine what all scopes I have to choose from. I don't what to buy something that's going to fall apart or not hold zero from recoil though.

Posts: 122 | Location: Villa Rica, GA. | Registered: 27 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've had Leupolds on a very light .375 H&H and both performed flawlessly a 2.5-8 VXIII and a 1.5-5 illuminated VXIII.
Very durable and repeatable.
There may be better scopes made but I'm not looking any further.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a Leup 1.5-5 successfully on a 458 Lott, but the ultimate in durability is the Leup 2.5x compact.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold 2.5x Compact is a classic for handling BIG recoil. The Leupold warranty is a very nice thing to have on a big recoiling rifle too.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just looked for the 2.5 compact and didn't see it listed on midway or midsouth. I saw a 2.5 scout.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Shoot a 458Lott quite a bit these days and have the Leupold's and they are tough to beat, but also use Nikon 1.5x4 Monarch and it is around 100 or so bucks cheaper, but can find no fault with it. Well built and optics are really nice.
Either one will serve you well I believe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tank,
Check out the Leupold site, http://www.leupold.com/products/scopes.asp the 2.5-20mm is under the ultralight heading. I've got one on my CZ .416 Rigby with no problems after 400 rounds. Between the long eye-relief and short occular bell it would be hard to get farther away from your scope and still use the CZ mounting system.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold 2.5X shotgun scope on my 458 Lott. Have over 200 rounds through it with no problems so far. It has the heavy duplex reticule.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I saw the ultralights but didn't think that was the one. I'll probably get one of the Leupolds. I actually wanted a fully adjustable receiver sight but so far, I haven't seen any that are made for the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tank:
I'm thinking of putting a scope on my CZ 458 Lott. Which scopes are able to stand up to the recoil that I should be looking at ? I want low power.

No questio the brandnew swarovski Z6 or z6i if you want illumination.

The new z6 1-6x24 EE has 6x power and 12,5cm eyerelief... Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scopes on anything bigger than a 375 H&H does not make sense when big game is shot at close range. If you can't see with open sights out to 50 meters you should not be going after buff or ele. .416/.423/.458" and up is for big dangerous game. Pondoro would have advised you so as well.

Second shots without scopes can be made quicker than with scopes & there is nothing to break or fail. Also no need to scope doubles - just look silly.

Warrior

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, Many of us have found iron sights totally useless compare to a scope in all situations except a scope failure.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tank,

Be sure and check the mounting length of the scope you choose. The Nikon Monarch 1.5-4 that driver mentions is a dandy for the money and is a little longer than the Leupold which is helpful mounting. Also, keep the scope weight low to minimize potential scope movement under recoil.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Warrior.
If you have ever been to africa you are probaly a better judge than I am in some regards.
But you can only judge from the prespective of your eye site.
Another factor is shooting experince. I shoot alot for a city boy, every weekend in the summer.
a work buddie of mine thinks scopes are for whimps. But he was a geen beret.
Of corse I defend myself by reminding him civilian tax payers like me paid for his marksmanship trining and practice ammo.
I have a back up peep on my 45/70, but I can empty that rifle off handed into a pie plate at 100 yards with the 1X4 leupold set on 1.
But I can't do as well with the peep. My eyes are nearing 50 years old.
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas,
You just need to practice more with good iron sights. My eyes are older than yours.......

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
I know many think peeps are not traditional on big safari guns, ie. 458 and up. Hell, I have a leupy on my rigby and can't imagine anything else on there. But I am shocked at how well most can shoot with peep sights out to common hunting ranges. Most likely if you try them you will love it. Pros: can't hit the top of your head on it in recoil, cuts a pound or more weight off your rile, alost impossible to break. Cons: they suck in low light, past 200 yards depedning on front blade thinkness they are tough to hit with. Speed wise they are about equal to a low powered scope. Just something to think about your mileage may vary.
109 paces using a branch as a rest.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I would love to have a Lyman 66 receiver sight on my new CZ 550 mag just like I have on my Marlin 45/70 but it appears that noboby makes a receiver sight for the CZ. Everything I have seen so far requires modification to make it work.