Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 bullets by GSC Login/Join

<R. A. Berry>
posted
I just checked out the offerings in the .475" bullets by GSC. Amazing variety!

FN: 450, 500, 560, and 600 grains
HV: 500 grains

www.skyboom.com/gscustom

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Note to self:
I better stick to the 500 grain FN and HV with my 470 Capstick. Maybe the HV/FN driving band technology will keep the pressures down and allow me to equal or exceed 2400 fps in my 26" barrel with 1 in 10" twist. The longer monometal bullets will do well in a faster twist, but will they crowd the powder space...apparently not a problem for 500grains with his rifle, so no worries!

As for those monster 600 grainers: sounds like a job for the 470 Mbogo!

And if I ever crack my stock or find it unserviceable: replace with a McMillan, color brown. Until then, I like walnut and matte black bluing with a 26" barrel for a well balanced perfectly functioning 10 pound stopping rifle. Hey, except for the 2.5X Leupold, and lack of slow rust bluing, and lack of fancy wood, it sounds like something Ray Atkinson might approve of!

I shall at least have a detachable peep from NECG to appease the red god.

------------------
RAB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Right on RA, but for the record I'm not a fan of fancy wood..I like quarter sawn Turkish walnut with grain running from toe to forend..and lean toward rather plain and absolutly no "marble cake" (clown wood), takes away from the workmanship..Now remember that, I don't want to have to say it again!!!

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got great accuracy with the 500 gr FN from GS.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by R. A. Berry:
Thanks for the reminder Ron,
I've been meaning to order some of the FN 500 grain .475's and finally got to it. The 560 grain bullets sound real good also. They would be good in the 470 Mbogo at around 2380-2400 fps. What is the sectional density on those bullets? I bet you would have to line up two Buffalo end to end to stop one of them. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
470 Mbogo,
560 grain .475 bullets would have SD = .356
A Texas heart shot on an elephant would surely brain it with the FN if properly aimed. With the 470 Mbogo rifle it would probably take two elephants end-to-end to recover a bullet. Are you sure you need that much penetration?

------------------
RAB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
470mbogo

Please remind me because I forgot. What case is the 470 mbogo based on? And what action did you build it on? Thanks.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 500grains:
[B]470mbogo
The case is based on the 416 Rigby. I've made one on the Ruger 416 Rigby action and one on the CZ 550 action. I would recomend the CZ 550 action. The magazine capacity is better with it. I think if you split the magazine box and made it 25 to 30 thousandths wider it would hold four and one up the spout. The Ruger was re-bored to .475 from the original 416 Rigby barrel. There are pictures on my website of the 416 Rigby, 450 Rigby and the 470 Mbogo together. The site address is www.470mbogo.com. 470 Mbogo

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Hi Ron,
I would just be curious as hell. The 500 grainers really penetrate well so I will probably have to find out what those .356 SD bullets will do. It just seems to be in my nature. 470 Mbogo

one of us
posted Hide Post
the best thing about FN GS solids is they work in double rifles..without pressure signs and the problems affliated with other manolithics..I suppose because of the driving bands that reduce barrel contact...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Why, yes, Ray, that is a good point. But even better is the fact that they are capable of 0.147 MOA and it only takes one of them to kill a cape buffalo with my 416.

------------------
RAB

<R. A. Berry>
posted
My .475 caliber 500 grain HV and FN are on order. I am going to see how long the slow boat takes instead of the airmail which took 3 weeks or 2 months anyway. Testing, 1,2,3...

------------------
RAB

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Hi Ron,
Mine are being sent in September. I have 500 and 560 grain FN's on order. I'm going to try to find some other .475 solids and do penetration tests at 2300,2400 and 2500 fps. I'm hoping to find at least 5 or 6 different brands. I ran out of Trohpy Bonded Sledgehammers. But I do have Barnes, Woodleigh and the GS so far. Do you know of three other companies that make .475 solids? It will be interesting to see how the 560 grain bullets do at about 2370 to 2400 fps. 470 Mbogo

<R. A. Berry>
posted
470 Mbogo,
I am perplexed as to the source of any other solids, except that Federal might make the component TBSH's available again.

I wonder why Swift never came out with a line of solids? A Speer AGS tungsten cored solid would be great for the caliber too.

The three types you have plus a TBSH would pretty well cover the various types of 500 grain solids in .475.

Should be interesting.

Also the comparison of 500 grain versus 560 grain FN's should be enlightening. FN's are tough to beat.

I look forward to your results. The 470 Mbogo is a great cartridge. Federal ought to legitimize that wildcat someday, aye? One of my magnum actions is begging to be turned into a 470 Mbogo...someday. To rebarrel or to rebore, that is the question,
but I am broke right now.

------------------
RAB

<R. A. Berry>
posted
I am moving this up to keep the GSC link handy, and to point out that there is a photo of what the FN of diminutive .416 caliber will do to a cape buffalo heart (click on the "Buffalo Heart" page) at:

http://raberry0.tripod.com/RonsHuntingPage/

I am only one week into the wait on the snail mail delivery of the .475 FN and HV bullets.

------------------
RAB

[This message has been edited by R. A. Berry (edited 09-03-2001).]