THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    458 win mag pressure problems:

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 win mag pressure problems: Login/Join

<jagtip>
posted
Am curious to hear about specifics on reported sticky bolt lift,stiff extraction,etc with 458 win mag in African heat.Ballistically,it compares favorably with original 450 through 470 nitro express loadings but has been criticized on the basis of pressure difficulties.Any specific info about load data,weather,etc. would be greatly appreciated.Thanks...Regards...jagtip

<Mitch>
posted
Jagtip. Although the 458 win. and the 450 and 470 Nitros have about the same ballistics, there is a world of differece in their operating pressures. The 458 Win. has very limited case capacity and must run at relatively high pressures to equal the two Nitro exp. rounds you mentioned which are able to run as very low pressures because of their large case capacitys.

<jagtip>
posted
Mitch...Thanks for your response and I'm aware of the case capacity and operating pressure differences between the 458 win and the nitro express rounds however the core of my question is concerning specifics on load data with pressures causing problems in the field.Any experiences or comments?

<Mitch>
posted
Jagtip, From what I understand the loads that caused the sticky extractions were early factory loads loads that were loaded with ball powder. Since that time most factory loads have been reduced and I believe stick powders are now used for the most part. When loaded with modern powders sticky extractions caused by high pressure is less of a problem with the 458 win. as long as you don't go over board with it trying get 458 Lott velocitys out of it.

<jagtip>
posted
Finn Aagaard had this to say about the 458 win mag.QUOTE "I believe the fad for bad-mouthing the 458 is mostly hot air and blaming cartridge/gun for own failures.Apart from some lots of bad ammo,I have never been able to detect any difference in the field,on game,between the .458 and .500/.450,.465,.470,or even the .500 N.E." END OF QUOTE...........Was he right????????HMMMMMMMMMMMM !!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jagtip,
I knew Finn personally and he was a fine gentleman and extremely knowledgable but I believe I'll disagree with his assesment on the 458...His experience was primarily with Buffalo and not elephant, according to him, although he did use it some on elephant. He mostly used a fitting handload I believe.

Others who have used the 458 considerably more, than I or Finn have enough doubts to modify them to 458 Lotts...It is a simply fact that one can get 2000 plus a bit with a handload, and the 458 is a fine gun at that velocity, but lots of 458 Factory stuff cross the chronograph at 1900 and even less...The new hotter loaded rounds that recently came out are getting sticky bolt reports from African PH's according to Man Magnum magazine, an RSA production, and they are mostly spot on with their information IMO.....

My personal opinnion is where there is that much smoke, for that lenth of time, there must be a fire...So I have chosen to use a caliber thats not in question and under constant fire, mama gave me since enough to come in out of the rain, and gain knowledge from others mistakes, that's my call on the 458, a poorly designed round in the first place, but when properly handloaded is a capable of handling all dangerous game, or so I've been told over the years.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote