New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,

Does anyone know the difference between a 30-378 Weatherby action versus 460 Weatherby action?

The reason for this question is because I would like to have a stainless 460 Weatherby and thinking about converting the 30-378 Weatherby stainless to this big caliber. I understand that the 460 weighs at least 2 pounds more and I don't know where did this extra weight come from? Since the case of the 30-378 is the same as the 460 except with a smaller neck, I assume it has the same action as the 460.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Ming

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
No difference in the action. The 460 uses a heavier taper barrel. The problem in rechambering is that the 378, 416, 460 all use a secondary recoil lug which is attached to the barrel. The stock will not take the recoil from these big WBY's with only one recoil lug!

I was in the same dillema and I went custom. Pac-nor SS Ultramatch barrel chambered to 378. Wby MKV action and pillar and steel-bedded in a McMillan stock by McMillan. By the way the McMillan is the ONLY stock in production, guarranteed for life, to take the recoil of the WBY big 3 with just one recoil lug. My gun shoots under 1" at 200 yds! Good luck!

------------------
"If she won't shoot MOA or better... out she goes!"

[This message has been edited by POP (edited 09-02-2001).]

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote