Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Bigbore! Login/Join

<RustyF>
posted
I picked up a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby today, my first bigbore! Now the decisions begin, scope or no scope, detachable rings or fixed, factory ammo or reload, brands of all above. All input is appreciated as I am scheduled to go to RSA in May or early June for Buffalo and possibly Lion. Thanks, Rusty

<Don G>
posted
Rusty,

You might want to read up on lion hunting in RSA. It seems some of them are "put and take" operations that are not very sporting.

Congrats on the rifle, it is a good choice. I don't have one, but it's getting common, you should get some good advice here.

Don

<buffalo_buster>
posted
Hi Rusty,
Here is what I would do if I were you.
*First of all I would do something about that awful stock. Get it restocked in classic style laminate or wood. It would be much shoulder friendly than the humpback stock.
*Go with the scope. I'd pick Leupold 1.75-6x32, go with 1.5-5x20 if you like, but a bigbore calls for every millimeter of eye relief you can find, and Leupold is the best in that department.
*I'll stay with fixed scope mounts. You will find that at 1.5x or 1.75x the scope beats every other open sight and is a lot faster to get on the target.
*I'll stay with the factory ammo. See which one shoots best. Be sure to have a solid and a soft point load. If they hit at the same POI, all the better.
BB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

I suspect that the Federal ammo is fine, but look at the price! I think you'll want to reload for this one. RCBS dies, Norma brass from Sinclair, order a custom Lee Factory Crimp die once you have bullets, cases and dies. Hornady softs are probably a reasonable practice round. For killing things there are other choices that you've probably seen mentioned - Nosler Partition, GS Flat Nose solids, Woodleigh. If you go for Nosler, you'll probably want to get another bullet seating plug from RCBS - $12 or $13 custom, send them some bullets. Might want a custom Lee case trimmer - just tell them the length. I went for 2.890", based on A-Square's recommendation and the fact that SAAMI max is 2.900". You'll have to tell them the pilot diameter, presumably .416". Sounds like a lot, but it's still a lot cheaper than two boxes of factory ammo.

Reloading also gives you the option of loading down a little. With full or near-full loads, you may want to handle the rifle correctly. It DOES believe in conservation of momentum.

Ask these guys about mounts, or wait and see what happens to me when I get my mounts from CZ-USA. As you can see below, I will try my Weaver K1.5. If I don't like that, I may try another scope not in production any more. Thus the other guys can probably tell you more about scope selection than I can. Be sure you have some eye relief!

BTW, I liked the iron sights fine, and the rifle fit me very well to put my eye right on them. But the second time out, I was paying so much attention to shouldering the thing properly and trying to keep moderately steady in a standing position that I several times caught myself not putting the front sight in the right place in the shallow V rear sight. I'm going to try the scope simply because it means one less thing to think about while I'm juggling several thoughts.

Let us know how you do. I posted over on HA, on African form, in response to a question by Mule Ears, about my own experience with the recoil of this thing, so far. You may find that it's not fun to shoot, but it beats hell out of being the buffalo. I think you'll find that it's not even unpleasant for the first shot, and the rest, not too many at one time, will be OK if you pad yourself a little and hold it right.

Now I'll shut up and give the guys who know what they're talking about a turn.

[This message has been edited by Recono (edited 08-09-2001).]

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty,

Welcome and congrats on your purchase. I picked up the same model CZ last spring and it's a shooter. You're gonna have fun. I WISH I had a trip planned for next spring!

Replacement stocks aren't cheap so I chose to stick with the factory model. It seems to work fine and I'm starting to get used to it. Obviously it's a personal choice thing.

I checked the prices on loaded ammo and quickly made the decision to reload. I picked up 100 rounds of Norma brass. It runs about $150/hundred from several places. Sinclair is where I got mine but I've seen several others in the same price range.

I've not mounted a scope yet... but I will. I got Warne QD mounts because my gunsmith had a pair laying around and I think I'll pull a 1.5x5 Leupold off of my .375 and mount on this gun. (I plan in going to a 1.75 - 6 on the .375). The gun shoots fine with open sights but "I" shoot better with a scope.... ya know what I mean?

I'd recommend that you load up some 350 gr loads before you go with a full power 400 gr load. My experience is that the recoil is something that is better "worked up" to. Even though I've shot a .375 a bunch the .416 noticeably stiffer on the recoil end.

Have fun and keep us posted!

Posts: 337 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Griffin>
posted
Congratulations on your purchase I have had one for over a year and the stock fits just fine. I think it actually helps handle the recoil better. Have not gone to a scope yet. The trick I've found to shooting it is to focus on the front sight and the rear one will line up itself. If I do this and relax when I pull the trigger it will lay them in there till I run out of ammo. My stock has fiddle back running the entire length of the stock both sides. so that is another reason to keep it. They are pillar bedded but not glass bedded. I plan on having that done before deer season. I've probably shot 200 reounds thru it and have had no problems whatsoever. Just always check to make sure your screws are nice and tight. the screw behind the sling swivel locks into a steel block the recess into the stock I think is is an effor to spread the recoil over more that just the grip area. I plan on Africa in 3 years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, if you need a cleaning rod guide quick-like, drill out the primer pocket of a plastic 20ga shotshell to fit your rod. The shell will fit in the back end of your action just fine.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RustyF:
Hi RustyF,
Nice choice of caliber and rifle. I would go with a scope either the 1.5 to5 or the 2.5 to 8 Leupold with the standard Bruno scope rings. The standard rings are very strong. I've had problems with the Warne QD rings. The small tab that they have at the bottom to lock into the receiver is not strong enough and peels away alowing the scope to move. This has happened on three sets of QD rings. With the 1.5 to 5 scope you will never have to take the scope off unless you damage it physically. On the 1.5 setting you'll see half your barrel and your front sight so it's easy to pick up something close. I know I've beat this to death but you guys with the factory stocks try putting on a Pachmayer triple x magnum recoil pad. It will change your gun totaly and you'll like it. The humped stock was mentioned but I think that is the Lux model Bruno and the CZ550 with in 416 has more of a straight stock with about an inch and a half drop.
Definately try reloading as mentioned 100 brass for $150.00 and your good to go for years. There is lots of loading information available and bullets are reasonable. The 400 grain Hornady is a lot better than just a practice bullet. At 2400 fps it is a very good bullet that is capable of taking Cape Buffalo. It is built very tough. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
Nice gun, I'll be buying one myself. Definately reload. Can't beat the versitility of handloading. BTW, www.midsouth.com has RCBS dies for under $40.00. Smoking deal. I think I paid $46.00 for mine. Now all I need is a Lee Collet Crimp die.